Six: Elizabeth

Eliza's hands shake as she carefully rolls up the scroll. The only sound to be heard is the crinkling of the paper, then nothing. She doesn't have to guess what the others are thinking.

The whole reason they are stuck in this mansion is to play a Game?!

While news of the Game is shocking, Eliza can't get the bigger problem—for her, anyway—out of her head.

Zach is here. And she is pretty sure he made a move. What else do you call what just happened moments before they saw the letter? His lips were a mere inch away from hers! How could that not mean there is still something there?

If only he isn't here, she laments. If only she isn't here. Imagine all the work there is not getting done! Does the Blue Star think she's dead? What does Kassy Belle think of her sudden disappearance?

They've been partners and close friends ever since Kassy had joined training at age sixteen, when Eliza was only one year older. They were both recruited in the same year, and have been doing missions together as soon as they passed training.

God only knows how long it'll take before Kassy starts to notice that somethings up. It could take months before she sends out a request for a search mission!

With that dreadful thought, Eliza flops into one of the navy seats with a long sigh. She doesn't know which is worse: being around Zach or having to deal with people like James and London.

Speaking of the two, it seems that they are best friends now, chatting and laughing on one of the couches. Smith has his feet propped up on the small coffee table, and Presley has his legs crossed, not caring that is putting his dirty shoes on the furniture.

Eliza strains her ears to hear some of their conversation.

"You like her, man?" James asks, eyeing London curiously.

Are they talking about Eliza? She hopes not. It's hard enough to have to contend with London when he's apparently not making a move on her.

"Yeah, but she seems unattainable."

"Dude, you saw what her brother did to me. I'm pretty sure he'd kill you if you two were discovered to be dating." James points to his black eye, which is now a mixture of blues and yellows.

"Wow, thanks so much for the encouragement," Presley deadpans. James smiles that annoying grin of his.

James shakes off the sarcasm. "I can help you two get together, you know."

"Like you have any experience with girls," London scoffs. As if James feels he has to prove something, he stands up.

Oh God, Elizabeth thinks. This ought to be good.

"Hey, Zuri!" James calls across the room.

If he's going to start another fight, Eliza will kill him herself.

The dark-haired girl turns around. "Yeah?" She eyes him suspiciously.

"I like your hair!" he smiles, and London is nudging him not-so-subtly with his elbow.

Eliza mentally facepalms. Boys.

"I don't know what you're up to, James Smith, but you better stop it now because I'm sure many people in this room are more than willing to give you a good thrashing."

"I'll go first!" Naomi's eyes light up in amusement, though Eliza can't decide if she is taking it as a joke. Elizabeth, however, is seriously considering it.