Twelve: Chase

In the quiet of the night, the sound of Chase's feet against the cold floor fills the air, hoping to escape. He needed to get away from those people because while he might be bad, what he has done would never measure up to their twisted acts.

Chase passes many doors, but none pop out to him. He is looking for a way out of this mansion; a way that he can escape the Game. But he needs to be fast enough to be free from any consequences the Host has in store.

The Host sure is something, he thinks. Whoever he or she is, they know everything. It's almost as if they're watching the Players' every move.

Goosebumps cover Chase's skin. Are they watching him right now? He continues to look for a hint as to how to get out of there.

Everything looks the exact same, unusually so. It's almost like he is seeing the same thing over and over again; as if he was walking in circles. Chase looks at the chandeliers as he tries to find something, anything! The last time he needed a clue, it was in the chandeliers.

But would the Host allow the same hint to be helpful?

It's ridiculous that we're trapped here. It's even worse that Eliza and Vivica are here, too. It's almost as if this Host is trying to torture me!

Chase starts to wonder how they're all related. Sure, the letter said they were all callous and cruel, but why them? There are countless amounts of people in the world that are just like them. Some are even football players like Chase! So, why him? Why Eliza and Vivica? Why Jenna and Otto? Why were they the ones chosen to play the Game? Why does it have to be them? Chase has too many questions and too little answers.

If only there is a way for Chase to just see through everything and get out of there. But the darn Host loves to play tricks, it seems, and unfortunately he is caught in one.

He stops in his tracks when he sees an odd chandelier. It has an extra arm, just like the one from earlier. This time, though, it isn't pointing towards the drawing room. Chase doesn't know what room it's pointing towards. All he knows is that the chandeliers led him to the drawing room the last time.

Chase isn't quite sure if he wants to be put back with the others. It's almost as if the mansion is a dollhouse, and we're the dolls.

He takes a moment to think. What's the worst that could happen if he went in the room? Sure, the others could be there. They could get into a bad argument. But is missing that worth losing a possible clue? Chase decides it isn't. And so, with a deep sigh, he pushes the door open.

When Chase walks inside, a deep sense of wrong comes over him.

In the halls, it felt like a gentle breeze on a warm summer day. He could almost imagine the calming sound of the local river flowing. But in this room, it feels like the raging winds of a hurricane and the giant waves during the storm are pushing against him. It feels horrible. Maybe it's the maroon walls, or maybe it's the odd paintings around the room. Chase doesn't really know.

Chase takes time to walk around the room. He notices the navy couches that remind him of the ocean and the fireplace that lights up the room. It isn't until he stumbles that he notices the hump on the floor. There is something tangled in the velvet navy curtains. The curtains are thick, too thick to see what's under them.

Curious, Chase starts to unravel the hump from the curtains. Pulling back a corner reveals a face; a face that looks a lot like Zuri.

Chase starts to freak out. Zuri is here, wrapped in a curtain. She could have decided she wanted to sleep, though Zuri doesn't seem the type to let down her guard easily. He carefully presses two fingers against Zuri's neck, checking for a pulse.