Twenty-Four: Emilie

Emilie is suspicious of many things. For example, she is suspicious of the English monarchy. Even though she will never admit it, she believes there is absolutely no way it is possible it has stayed in a single family for over eleven centuries. Felix has told her several times that she needs to stop reading conspiracy theory magazines, but her answer is always the same.

She will do what she wants.

The same answer applies to Emilie's current state. Felix had warned her about London, and she feels it was completely uncalled for. It's not like he's done anything wrong.

Yet, the quiet voice in the back of Emilie's head reminds her. There is always a possibility. And you don't even know what he's done to get in this mansion.

But she thinks she's fallen for him. After what happened between her and Benjamin Stone, she didn't think she was capable of love again. She still remembers the day he snapped, the day she left him.

She still remembers when she found out he was shot. Emilie isn't quite sure who killed him, but she has her suspicions. The news said he was killed with a shotgun. The American police—Emilie is suspicious about them, as well—had many leads, but none of them were fruitful.

She's never mentioned to anyone the fact that, the night she dumped Benjamin Stone, Felix was sitting at the table, cleaning his favorite pump-action handgun.

In addition to her romance problems, she now has Amelia Taylor to contend with.

She's almost positive Amelia is playing her. Or trying to, at least. The stunt she pulled in the teaching room made her want to puke. Talking about her feelings isn't something she does in her free time. In fact, she doesn't do it at all if she has a choice. And usually Felix doesn't give her a choice. She can only be grateful that, if she really isn't up to talking, he lets it go.

Kissing London was a low blow, but Emilie knows how to play dirty, too. All she'll need to do is find out what Amelia cares about the most and rip it from her hands.

She can't help but wonder what Amelia's end game is. She's never heard of her before this Game, which means she either isn't notable, or she is really good at staying under the radar.

She hopes it's the former. If Amelia is a nobody, then it will be easy to get on her good side. Every compliment said, every door held, it will all be worth it in the end.

Even if it will cost her sanity.

"What could it possibly mean?" London asks from Emilie's right, leaning over a table.

She takes a closer look at the clue: I get dirty when I become white. The answer is obvious to Emilie.

"It's a blackboard." Amelia beats her to saying the answer.

But she doesn't seem happy with the results.

"Wow! I wouldn't have thought of that, Mia!" Emilie says in the kindest voice she can muster. It practically drains all of her energy just to say that one sentence.

"This is just another point towards girls being smarter than boys."

"Shouldn't we be finding a blackboard right now? If we want to win this game, we need to be quick,—" Felix cuts in, trying to prove a point.

"—quicker than everyone else." Emilie adds to her brother's statement. She starts to walk out of the room, Felix at her side before he stops, turning to look behind him at idiotic Amelia.

"Are you coming?" he asks.

Wait, does Mia look...nervous? Why is she nervous?

"I-I'd rather not go back to the teaching room..." she says timidly.