Twenty-One: Amelia

"Okay, so we don't know what we're doing, then?" James asks, clearly annoyed that the others haven't done the work for him already.

The turd expects us to do everything, Amelia thinks bitterly.

"You mean we don't have a clue, not you. You have been the least helpful." Emilie retorts.

That woman seems to read minds.

If Amelia is in a different situation, she'd be impressed, but given that know one here can be trusted, well, this is a bit concerning.

"Excuse me, but you haven't found much of anything either."

"At least I was actually looking, James." Emilie rolls her eyes. "Now, we may not know which direction to take, but I may have an idea. The clue obviously is referring to a map. And it just so happens that James and I saw an observatory a few doors down. I'm sure there's a map of significance there."

Okay, now Amelia is impressed.

She'd just have to be more careful around Emilie. The blond doesn't seem to realize Mia's plan, but she could be playing along with it. It bugs Amelia that she doesn't know.

She's the kind of person who loves to control everything to ensure things go her way and don't fall into the wrong hands.

After making that mistake once, Mia's adamant on not letting it happen again. She shivers, a tingling coming to her wrists.

Never again.

"Emilie, you're a genius," Mia hooks an arm around her neck. "See boys, women know how to work smarter, not harder."

"We work smarter and harder, it seems." There's a glint to Emilie's hazel eyes, reminding Amelia not to get too comfortable and friendly.

If she acts too nice, then the de Vanily twin might know that something is up.

"That's what you girls say to make yourselves feel better about your lack of strength." James crosses his arms with a smug grin. "I bet you can't hurt me if you tried."

"Oh, you don't know that, bro. Sweetheart here could kick your butt just like her brother did," London says before turning to stare deep into Mia's eyes. "But Mia doesn't stand a chance."

Amelia shifts uncomfortably. London is way too perceptive for her tastes. Felix is okay, but London Presley is starting to give her the creeps.

"Oh, I'm sure Mia could kill you both before you know what's coming." Emilie retorts, turning to smile at Mia. "She's stronger than you think."

"Alright," James holds his hands up in surrender. "Fine. We're all strong here."

"But not all of us have a brain."

A sparkle Mia didn't notice before is returning to London's eyes, the corners of his mouth turning upwards. "Of course. You girls win."

"Come on."

Emilie guides the four of them to two heavy dark oak doors leading to the observatory that she claims she and James found.

"Wow, this place is cool." James walks over to a large globe and spins it.

"Huh, I didn't know the dome could open."

The room is naturally lit by the brightening sky and it dawns on Amelia that they've been there for over thirty-six hours.

And she is very hungry.

Does she have to pee?

Oh gosh.