12

Tw: Foul language, sexual content? Someone's butt is touched, but I won't say whose. Sexual references, violence, death.

"You know, it's really dark out," Rex commented.

Kara narrowed her eyes and laughed. "So? Are you scared of the dark?"

The corners of his lips lifted as he smirked, eyes glinting. "No. You can't see in the dark, though. Am I right? You're pretty much blind."

Kara scowled. "You are correct." She looked up at the sky, glancing at the sun's positioning. "We still have a bit before it's completely night."

Rex shrugged and rolled his neck out. "So I have until then to surprise attack you?"

Kara's face split into a wide grin. "I'm not stupid. We're not going to just wander around in the dark. Do you know what lives in these woods?"

Rex shook his head. "No, I don't. Are we going to reach the base before night?"

"Absolutely not. It's very far away. We're going to spend the night in a tree," Kara told him, beginning to search for a sturdy tree. She found one that satisfied her and pulled Rex to it, motioning for him to climb it.

"I can't climb it with my hands bound," Rex prostrated, holding out his wrists.

"Want me to give you a boost?" Kara asked, smiling wickedly.

Rex wanted to be difficult, just how she was when she was the prisoner. "Yes."

Kara shrugged. "Alright."

Then she put her hands on his ass.

Rex jumped away, whipping his head around to glare at her with red cheeks. "What was that for?"

"You wanted a lift!" Kara exclaimed. 

"So you put your hands on my ass?" Rex hissed, still trying to stay out of her reach.

"You were supposed to climb up the tree while I supported your weight!" Kara rolled her eyes. "Now come here so I can put you up that tree."

Rex continued to shy away from her, dancing around the tree trunk. "Absolutely not. I'd rather let whatever lives in the forest eat me."

"Who said it eats people?" Kara quirked a brow.

Rex froze. "Then what does it do?"

Kara cackled, a sound he had begun to get used to. "Why would I tell you when I'm about to tuck you in for the night? Just know it's bad."

"You're not tucking me in!" Rex bristled, lunging to the side as she tried to grab his arm.

"Obviously not," Kara agreed. "I don't have a blanket. I meant that you need to get up that tree right now!"

Rex nearly shrieked as she snagged his arm, pulling him to her side. "No! Let me go!"

"You'll do it!" Kara shoved him against the tree, pointing her chin upwards. "Climb."

Rex grumbled and reluctantly let her lift him into it. He scrambled onto the top of the tree, sighing as he felt the bark dig into the back of his neck. "Is this really better than your cell?"

"Freedom is the greatest comfort." Kara clambered up next to him and arranged the branches to hide them from plain sight. "If you try to escape tonight while I'm sleeping, just know that you won't survive. There's deadly creatures in here."

"Noted." Rex shut his eyes, putting his bound hands in his lap. "Goodnight."

"Sweet dreams," Kara replied. "They better be filled with me."