31

Tw: Language, blood, drugs (medical version)

Also, this isn't going to line up with canon, because we all know how it ends.

I'm doing it my way.

Which should terrify you.

Kix was having a weird day.

He saw Rex run past the medical bay earlier covered in paint. He had seen Fives and Echo sprint past his doors with Rex on their heels, Echo yelling about how it was all Fives' fault. Ahsoka's laugh had echoed the corridors as Rex scolded them.

And now Kara, naked and bloody, was standing at the entrance to the medical bay.

Mostly naked, that was. She was wearing shorts and a sports bra.

Kix pinched the bridge of his nose. "What happened?"

"So I was trying to figure out how my blaster worked, right?" Kara began, sitting on an exam table. "But I couldn't pull the trigger, so I thought I was jammed."

Kix hummed to encourage her to continue, grabbing gauze and bandages.

"So I grabbed a knife and stuck it into the side," Kara told him. "I'm hindsight, it wasn't the greatest idea."

"You think?" Kix clicked his tongue as he cleaned the blood off of her, confused as to where it came from. He couldn't see a visible wound.

"But I dropped the knife by accident and tripped over the mat." Kara grimaced. "Then I fell on the knife."

Kix sighed. "Where did you stab yourself?"

Kara turned slightly, wincing as she showed him her back. A knife was sticking out of her with blood leaking out. "There."

Kix scanned it quickly. "And how did the blood get all over you?" Kix pulled it out and immediately put pressure to it with the gauze. "And also, where are your clothes?"

"I ripped my shirt on the knife and took it off when I tried to look at the stab wound. Then my bloody shirt got stuck over my head and I might have started running around. Then I bumped into a wall and the bloody shirt smeared it everywhere." 

"Of course you did," Kix muttered.

"There may or may not be stains on the wall that I left behind," Kara sheepishly said. 

Kix rolled his eyes. "Someone's going to find that and be absolutely terrified." He wrapped the bandages around her torso. "You should be fine. It didn't pierce any organs. Your ribs deflected it."

"Great. I'll see you later." Kara moved to slide off the table, narrowing her eyes when Kix held out a hand to block her. "What?"

"You think I'm clearing you?" Kix snorted. "You're staying the night. You literally got stabbed and I'm not letting you out if my sight until I'm sure you're not going to die."

"I'm fine!" Kara insisted, scowling deeply.

Kix hummed and handed her a couple of pills. "Take these and shut up."

"Your bedside manner is great," Kara sarcastically said before swallowing the pills without any water. 

"Lay down," Kix ordered, moving her to a bed. "You need sleep then you can leave. I'll be monitoring you throughout the night. The scan said it didn't pierce your organs but I want to make sure."

Kara frowned. "Can I get some new clothes?"

Kix pulled out a spare set of blacks from a drawer and gave them to her. "I keep a spare for anyone that may need them. They're clean and should fit you well enough."

He pulled the curtain around to give her some privacy. He turned his back to it to finish up on the report he had been working on, looking up as he heard footsteps.

Rex burst into the room with panicked eyes. "There's rumours of Kara running around naked and bloody! What happened?"

Kix waved a hand dismissively. "She's fine. Just a little stab wound."

"A what?" Rex hissed. His eyes landed on the bloody knife that lay forgotten to the side and he gasped. "Maker, where is she?"

"I'm changing!" Kara yelled. "Give me a minute!"

Kix rolled his eyes. "Happy? She's not dead." His lips thinned before he added, "Yet."

Kara moved the curtains back around and smiled at Rex. "I didn't accidentally stab myself."

Rex raised an eyebrow at her suspiciously. "Did you accidentally stab yourself?"

Kara wobbled for a moment before wrinkling her nose. "No, I didn't."

"Yes, she did," Kix interjected.

Kara giggled. "Okay maybe I did. But it wasn't my fault!"

"Whose fault was it then?" Rex asked in amusement.

Kara pouted. "Yours. You... Look over there!" She screamed and pointed into the distance.

Rex didn't turn around, crossing his arms. "Kara."

"The painkillers kick in quickly," Kix said before patting Rex on the back. "I'm hungry so I'm going to get something to eat and maybe take a nap. I'll check in at midnight and again in the morning. Have fun with this."

"This is literally your job!" Rex's hands fell to his sides in exasperation. "You're a shitty medic."

"And you're a shitty captain," Kix shot back. "You fell in love with the enemy!"

"She's not the enemy," Rex muttered quietly.

"You're in love with me?" Kara softly asked.

Rex whipped around. "Kara-"

"Braid my hair?" Kara blurted out, interrupting whatever he was about to say.

Rex shrugged, glad she cut him off. "Sure."

"See you at midnight," Kix said and left them on their own.

Rex sat behind her on the bed and sectioned out her hair, dividing it equally. His tongue stuck out of his mouth slightly as he worked, fingers fumbling at her hair. "Do I want to ask how you stabbed yourself?"

"Probably not." Kara's words were slurred. "But at least I'm not gonna die."

Rex finished off the braid and held a hand out. She slipped an elastic from her wrist and placed it in his waiting hand. He tied off the braid and smiled proudly at his work. "Done."

Kara leaned backwards against his chest. "Do I really have to stay here?"

"If something goes wrong all the gear is here," Rex apologetically told her. "It's just for one night."

Kara sighed. "Fine. But when I'm out of here I expect a big party. Like the one after I got married."

Rex craned his neck to see her face. "You've been married?"

"It's a long story." 

"Please tell me you got divorced," Rex begged.

"Of course." Kara laughed. "You think I'd stay married to that guy? He tries to kill me every year on his birthday. It's like a little gift to himself I think."

Rex blinked. "Elaborate please."

But Kara had fallen asleep against him, cheek smushed against his chest. He smiled at her affectionately and slid away, tucking her in.

We're almost at the end.