Chapter Twenty-Eight: Call It Karma

"Blame it on the weather

But I'm a mess

And this February darkness

Has me hating everyone."

*

Lucas lay fast asleep on his bed. After Dan's visit last night, Lucas spent most of the night rolling around restlessly, consumed by the confusing dynamic of his family, before finally drifting off. He was drawn out of his slumber by a light rapping on his door. Still in a daze, he dragged himself out of bed to open it, being hit by a cool breeze as he did so.

Brooke Davis was standing on the other side, holding two to-go coffee cups. "Good morning, boyfriend." She kissed Lucas lightly on the cheek and stepped inside.

"Morning," Lucas replied bluntly, flopping back down onto his bed.

"Isn't it a little early in the morning to be brooding?" Brooke teased, handing him one of the coffee cups.

Lucas took a small sip, testing the temperature of the drink, before divulging in a larger swig. "Sorry, rough night."

"Did something happen at the bachelor party?" Brooke asked, placing herself next to him on the bed.

"Someone happened," Lucas responded, taking a deep breath. "Dan turned up."

"Oh."

"Yeah, he gave Keith their grandparents' wedding bands and told him he'd paid for his medical bills and it was like Keith just forgot all of the bad stuff he's done," Lucas admitted, flopping his head back onto his pillow.

Brooke placed her hand on his chest. "I'm sure that's not true, Lucas. Dan has done enough bad things for about seven lifetimes and Keith knows that. Maybe Keith didn't want to make a scene at his party or maybe he's just a decent enough guy to accept a nice gesture with grace. It doesn't necessarily mean he's forgiven Dan for everything."

"I suppose. It was just a lot to process. I kinda blew up at Keith."

"You should probably talk to him."

"You're right, as usual," Lucas said, kissing Brooke's nose. "How was the bachelorette party?"

"It was great. I think your Mom was really happy with it," Brooke answered with a vibrant smile.

Lucas stood up from the bed, pulling Brooke up with him, and turned to face her. "I knew she would. Thanks for doing that for her, Brooke."

Brooke slung her arms around his neck. "Anytime, Luke. We're a family now, right?"

Lucas nodded, snaking his arms around her waist. "I'm gonna go see if I can find Keith. Will I see you later?"

"Count on it," she said sweetly, getting on her tiptoes to kiss him.

"I love you, pretty girl."

"I love you too, boyfriend. See ya later." Brooke gave Lucas one last peck on the lips and left through the side door, giving him a small wave on her way.

*

It was one of those days where the weather couldn't quite make up its mind. Clouds hung overhead, painting the sky a murky grey, occasionally releasing bursts of rain yet, here and there the sun would peek through. It was raining when Lucas pulled up outside Keith Scott's Body Shop and he jogged from the car to avoid getting too wet.

Thankfully, Keith was there. Lucas didn't feel like going on a wild goose chase all over Tree Hill to find him. Keith seemed startled when Lucas walked in. "Oh, hey Luke," he uttered, softly.