Chapter Seventeen: Losing My Life

"So where the hell do I go from here? Who do I believe when everyone feels so insincere?

Bright light shone through a tiny gap in Lucas Scott's curtains, slowly waking him from his slumber. Hazily, he rubbed the sleep from his eyes with the back of his right hand and then diverted his attention to the clock on his bedside table: 6:30AM, he had time for a run before school. Then, he gazed over at the beautiful brunette still asleep next to him. She looked so peaceful when she was sleeping. Quietly, he got out of bed and slipped on some black sweatpants, his Keith Scott Motors hoodie and a pair of sneakers, before silently leaving the house through his bedroom door.

Lucas started to run down the road, taking in all of the crisp, fresh air. The sky was filled with a parade of bleak, grey clouds but the sun shone through them all, stopping them from creating total darkness. He continued running, his mind venturing to many different places along the way. He thought of how good life was being to him. His friends were happy, basketball was good, Keith was back in town and, most importantly, he had the best girlfriend in the world. Lucas snapped back to reality and realised that he was now at the River Court. He was surprised to see Nathan, sat on one of the picnic benches, holding his head in his hands.

Lucas approached his brother, with confusion on his face. "Hey Nate, what's up?"

Nathan slowly lifted his head from his hands, his eyes were red and puffy. "Oh, hi Luke," Nathan responded, quickly rubbing his eyes and standing up from the bench, as though nothing was wrong.

"Dude, you've been crying? Talk to me, what's going on?" Lucas put his hand on Nathan's shoulder, causing Nathan to collapse his head into his brother's shoulder. He cried his eyes out, while Lucas embraced him in a hug.

"She's pregnant, Luke... Haley... she's pregnant."

Lucas's mouth fell open in shock. "Wow, I don't know what to say..."

Nathan returned to his seat on the bench, and looked into his brother's eyes. "What am I gonna do, Luke? We're only seniors, surely we can't have a kid."

Lucas sat down next to him. "You guys may be young, but you are two of the best people I know. If anyone at our age is ready for that, it's you guys. I mean you're already married for god's sake!"

Nathan laughed slightly. "Haley would make a great mom, but what if I fuck up Luke? What if I turn into our dad?"

Lucas's face turned serious momentarily. "Nathan, you are nothing like Dan. Don't ever worry about that. Not to mention, if you guys do have this baby, think of all the people you'll have to help you out. It's gonna be okay man, I promise. Now get your ass home and talk to your wife!"

"You're right. Thanks Luke, I'll go talk to her. In the meantime, can you promise not to tell anybody?"

"Of course, bro." With that, both Scott brothers walked their separate ways.

Lucas arrived back home at around 7:30am. He entered his bedroom and found Brooke awake in bed and waiting for him. "Hey boyfriend, I was starting to think you'd abandoned me," she greeted him with a small smirk.

"Oh pretty girl, I could never abandon you," Lucas replied, leaning down to kiss her.

Brooke quickly turned her head. "Luke, I love you n' all, but boy you need a shower."

Lucas laughed. "Noted," he said, and headed for the shower. While he was washing his hair, the shower curtain drew back. Brooke was stood there with her eyebrow raised seductively. Lucas smiled as his girlfriend stepped into the shower. "You're gonna get me into trouble, Brooke Davis."