Chapter Twenty-Three: Falling Fast

I'm falling fast
I hope this lasts
I'm falling hard for you
I say "let's take a chance"
Take it while we can
I know you feel it too

"What are you doing here?" Peyton looked tearfully up at her boyfriend, who had left town a few days ago. She stayed in the doorway, she didn't feel like she should get any closer. He had hurt her so badly.

Jake took a couple of steps towards her, then sat on the end of her bed, still looking over at her. "You were right," he stated, throwing his hands up in defeat. "I can't run away from my problems. It will only make things worse."

Peyton began yelling at him. "How could you do that to me, Jake? Just skip town, without returning my calls or emails? You didn't even tell me where you were going!" Peyton began uncontrollably sobbing in the doorway, and Jake ran over, embracing her in a hug. "You broke my heart, Jake," she whispered.

"I'm so sorry, Peyton," he replied, stroking the back of her head slowly, refusing to release her from the hug. "I listened to all of your voicemails, read all of your emails. They're the reason I'm back. I could tell how much I hurt you, and I'm not going to lose you or Jenny, because of Nicki. I promise."

Peyton began hugging him back. "So you're back for good?"

"Yep."

"And you're still going to the court hearing?"

"Yep. I'm meeting with my lawyer tomorrow to sort things out. We'll get through this Peyton, I'm sure of it." Jake finally pulled away from the hug, planting a soft kiss on Peyton's lips. She smiled up at him, happy that he was home.

***

Brooke arrived at Lucas' house, and entered through his bedroom door, as usual. She had mastered the art of sneaking in and out of this house by now.

Lucas was sat on his bed, waiting for her. "I was so hoping you'd come in this way, so we could have a minute together," he admitted to his girlfriend, smirking up at her. She walked closer to him, and her grabbed her hands, pulling her closer, until she was sat on top of him.

"I know! It feels like forever since we had some alone time," she leaned down, and began planting small kisses along Lucas' jaw.

"Dinner!" Karen called from the kitchen.

"Maybe not," Brooke said with a pout, climbing off of Lucas. They both walked out of the bedroom, into the kitchen. "Hey Keith. Hey Mrs. Keith," Brooke greeted the happy couple, with a vibrant smile.

"Hey Brooke," Karen walked up to her, giving her a quick hug. "Glad you could join us!"

"Thanks for having me!" She replied, as they all sat down at the kitchen table.

Keith placed an assortment of Chinese takeout food down on the table. "I hope you're hungry," he said, with a chuckle.

Everybody started taking bits of different foods, filling their plates. "Yum, this is good stuff. Not as good as your food Mom, but close." Lucas licked his lips, and smiled over at his mother.

Karen blushed. "I suppose I do have a talent," she replied, and mockingly flicked her hair over her shoulder.

"Yes you do," Keith agreed, before looking at Karen and clearing his throat, obviously reminding her to do something.

"Oh, right," Karen began. "Luke, we actually wanted to talk to you about something." She and Keith looked at each other and then back at Lucas, while holding hands.