Chapter Twenty: 23

You'll sit alone forever

If you wait for the right time

What are you hoping for?

I'm here and now I'm ready

Holding on tight

Don't give away the end

The one thing that stays mine

"I still can't believe your mom and Keith are engaged! That's crazy!" Peyton exclaimed to Lucas, as the group were all stood in the courtyard at school.

"It's about damn time," Haley said, with a laugh.

"I know, it's awesome," Lucas replied, his arm around Brooke's shoulders.

"I'm so happy for them," Brooke stated, looking up at her boyfriend, smiling.

"My mom would like to invite all of you to Karen's Cafe tonight, for a celebratory dinner," Lucas informed them all.

Everyone responded with nods of agreement. "Hell yeah, I love celebrations, and free food," Nathan said, and they all laughed.

"Alright, just get there for 6:30. It's casual, so no need to dress all fancy," Lucas told them, as the bell rang, signalling for them all to get to class.

Brooke and Lucas walked hand-in-hand to History class. "You have no idea how excited I am, Luke. I love weddings! It's all so romantic."

"Who said you're invited?" Lucas teased Brooke, with a small smirk.

"Hey! No fair. You can't make jokes like that." Brooke replied with a pout, as Lucas wrapped his arm around her shoulder, pulling her close to him.

"Okay, okay! Brooke Davis, would you do me the honour of being my date to my mom's wedding?"

"Of course!" Brooke exclaimed with a huge grin, as Lucas gave her a small kiss on the forehead, before continuing on to class.

It was about 6:30pm at Karen's Cafe. It had been closed for business, strictly friends and family only. Inside, the tables and chairs had been shuffled around, to create a space for everyone to sit together. There was a golden banner hung up above the counter that read CONGRATULATIONS and several gold and silver balloons scattered around inside. On the counter was a buffet of party foods and drinks for everyone to help themselves to.

Everyone was there: Karen, Keith, Lucas, Brooke, Deb, Peyton, Jake (with Jenny), Nathan, Haley, Whitey, Skills and Mouth. They all sat around the table, chatting and laughing.

"So, how did this even happen?" Deb asked. "I was praying it would happen eventually, but I wasn't expecting it now!"

"Well," Keith began, "after a talk with Lucas, I realised that I spent way too much time not being honest with myself and my feelings. I thought screw it, it's now or never, and I came over to Karen's, admitted how I felt and, luckily, she felt the same way."

Karen smiled brightly at Keith, gripping his hand. "We didn't want to waste anymore time. I think we've loved each other for a long time, so why not make the commitment now?"

"Well, I'm happy for you two lovebirds," Whitey said. "It was about time Keith manned up. You're a very lucky man."

"Yes, I am," Keith replied, a permanent smile on his face. He was finally with the girl of his dreams.

"I would like to raise a toast," Lucas started, as everyone raised their drinks, "to two of the greatest people in my life. Two people who are perfect for each other. I'm so happy for you guys. I'm glad you finally found your way to each other, with everything that has happened. I can't think of a greater couple. I love you guys. So, here's to my mom and Uncle Keith. Cheers!"

"Cheers!" Everybody said in unison, taking sips of their drinks.

Keith and Karen looked at each other with huge smiles.

"Actually, Luke, there's something else we wanted to ask you," Karen informed her son.

Lucas looked at them both, confused. "What is it?"

"Luke, it would be my privilege for you to be my best man," Keith stated, looking happily at his nephew.

"Oh my god, of course I will be!" Lucas hugged Keith and then Karen, before sitting down and receiving a big hug from Brooke.

"That's not all," Karen said. "Brooke, Peyton, Haley: will you be my bridesmaids?" All three of them agreed without hesitation, exchanging hugs with the soon-to-be bride and groom.

Brooke started crying, she was so happy. "It's just so romantic. I can't wait to wear a pretty dress, and see you guys up on the altar." Lucas wrapped his arm around her again, wiping away her tears with a napkin.

"Right! I think it's time we all grabbed some food!" Karen exclaimed. "Everybody help yourselves!" Immediately, everybody stood up, walking over to the counter, plates in hand, picking at the food items. Everybody was laughing and joking. Everything felt right in Tree Hill, for the first time in a while.

The sound of the door opening and closing behind them, caused Karen to turn around. "Sorry, we're closed for a family celebration tonight. We're open as usual tomorrow."

"Oh, I know. This won't take long," a familiar voice said. Everybody turned around. It was Nicki.

"Not you again," Brooke whined. "Why do you always have to show up and ruin the fun?"

Nicki raised her eyebrow. "Jake, we need to talk."

"Not here, not now." Jake stated, firmly, practically having to hold Peyton back from his ex-girlfriend.

Nicki looked over at Jenny, who was asleep in her stroller. She placed a piece of paper on the table. "We have a court hearing next week. I want joint custody, Jake. If you don't show up, Jenny will be with me, and you'll never see her again."