*Part Seven*

___________Marinette's POV___________

"Tiki, saving Paris every day sure is draining," I sighed, finally having defeated Hawkmoth's latest and greatest Akuma only moments ago. I'd barely been able to make it back inside my room before detransforming once again, and I was ready to crash.

"A superhero's job is never easy, Marinette," Tiki giggled, and I couldn't stop the grin from spreading across my lips. The kwami of creation was always saying things like that, no matter the situation, like a sugar-coated "it is what it is".

She was right, but everyone gets worn out at one time or another. Seemingly the second I collapsed onto my couch, my phone buzzed with a message from Alya.

I need to talk to you

about what?  I texted back.

eden. Meet me at my house in ten.

what? Eden?

my house and I'll explain everything

Huh, that was strange. Was this why Alya had been acting so hostile towards Eden lately? What could she have done? My exhaustion vanished, replaced with curiosity as I grabbed my purse and ducked out the trapdoor to the stairs.

"Where are we going?" Tiki called from her hiding place.

"Alya's."

___________Eden's POV__________

The next day at school, I knew I couldn't keep putting it off: I needed to clear things up with Alya. As of right now, I was fairly certain she thought I liked Adrien, who, from what I'd gathered, was reserved for Marinette. Which was fine by me, since I didn't like him like that. It would be like dating my brother, and I was not about to do that. I was from Arkansas, not Alabama. (I know it's only legal for cousins there, but same thing, right?)

Anyway, the first thing I did after getting out of the car was book it to where she and Mari were standing. Even from a distance, I could see the looks that crossed their faces, and I wondered if I'd put it off too long.

"Hey, Alya, I really need to talk to you. And probably you too, Mari," I said as casually as I could. They glanced at each other before Marinette finally responded.

"Uh, sure," She said, and I nodded.

"Great, because it really can't wait," I told them, grabbing their hands and leading them near the locker rooms, "I hate to say it, but I've been putting this off for, like, a week now. Plus, I don't want any misunderstandings coming from this later on."

They exchanged another look, this time one of confusion.

"What did you need to tell us?" Alya asked, her reporter's curiosity always gets the better of her.

"I get the feeling you guys think that I like someone that I don't, and I just wanted to set the records straight," I said bluntly.

"Is this about you liking Adrien?" Alya somewhat demanded, and Marinette's eyes fell.

"Hey guys-" Luka started, but Alya cut him off.

"Hey Luka, not the time."

He got the hint and walked on.

"See that's the thing, actually. I don't like Adrien. Not even a little bit. He's like a brother to me at this point, ya know?" I explained, and the two girls visibly relaxed, as if some invisible burden had been lifted off their shoulders.