*Part Twelve*

______Eden's POV (the competition)___

"Alright, everyone, listen up! We are up next, okay? Eden, I want you and Nathaniel out in the crowd for this next song. Video this next act, and capture all the angles, that way you know where you can get the best shots for when we perform! Nathaniel, you're awful at videoing, so I'll be with you. Eden, you're on your own, since you aren't completely incompetent." Alya was shouting out orders, Rose and Julika did their makeup in the mirrors, Luka tuned his guitar, and Marinette helped Ivan adjust his mask.

"Uh, thanks, Alya," I mumbled. Everyone around me was hustling about, and the movement was making me nauseous. People weaving around musical instruments of all types slain hazardously along backstage, rushing to get where they needed to go before the intermission ended. Four acts had already happened, but I couldn't tell who performed what, since no one was standing still long enough for me to connect the dots. Even while these talented groups took to the stage, they were swaying, dancing, and gliding to their music, harmonious. Everyone had something to do, while I stood still in the chaos.

I was nervous, claustrophobic, and anxious all at once. I was supposed to be videoing the next act, but I couldn't find my camera. And I couldn't find the backstage exit. And I didn't know where Alya and Nathaniel were. And Luka was supposed to be helping me find my camera, but he's off galavanting with Marinette. All in all, I wanted to go home.

Suddenly, the lights overhead dim. The next act would be starting in a few minutes and I was still lost. Stumbling blindly over guitar cases and stubbing my toe on a piano bench, I finally collapsed to the ground in frustration. My toe hurts. My head hurts. I couldn't see anything.

Sighing, I leaned against the piano bench, letting my hands fall to the ground. My left hand grazed something hard and plastic. In the dark, I could just make out the outline of my yellow camera. I laughed bitterly before pulling myself up and feeling my way to find the exit. At least I found my camera.

Pulling open the first door I could find, I hurried through. Only to collide headfirst with someone else leaving the room. The force of it all knocked me backward and I slammed into the ground, clutching my forehead.

"Oww."

"Oh my goodness, I am so sorry about that. Here, let me help you up!" A hand found mine in the darkness. The voice that spoke was deep and rich, like dark chocolate. His accent didn't sound American, but it didn't sound French either.

"Thanks," I said, still holding my head.

"I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to knock you over, I'm just so nervous to perform. I'm up next, but I'm worried I'll mess it all up..." The voice that I'd recognized to come from a young man trailed off as we both realized at the same time that his hand was still holding mine. He quickly let go and I blushed. Thank goodness it was still dark.

"It's fine," I said, "and I'm sure you'll do great in your performance. Just don't get in your head too much."

The boy laughed, and I think he shook his head.

"I wish it was that easy. Tonight's a really big night for me."

"Oh yeah, I hear that the winners get to open and close for Jagged Stone's next concert," I said.

The voice turned more timid, "Oh, uh no, that's not what I meant. I only recently joined my band, and I have to prove myself, which usually isn't that big of a problem, but..."

I leaned a little closer to hear, but he didn't elaborate.

"But what? Whatever it is, I'm sure you'll do great." I was trying to be encouraging.