Return to School

Remi's POV

"Hey dad, wish you were here" I state. It's the morning of September 1st. We're about to leave for Kings Cross Station. It'll take twenty minutes on foot. Oh and Harry got cleared of all charges. And Hermione is the new Gryffindor prefect along with Ron.

"So do I" he tells me. "Remi, you need to be very careful this year. Stay out of trouble" he tells me.

"How come?" I ask him.

"You remember Dolores Umbridge?" he asks me.

"Of course, she passed the Anti-werewolf legislation. Which makes it nearly impossible for you and other werewolves to get jobs. If not for Dumbledore" I say.

"I know" he says.

"What about her?" I ask him.

"The ministry passed a new educational decree. Which allows them to appoint a teacher at Hogwarts, should Dumbledore fail to find one. I just heard from Dumbledore, Umbridge is your new defense teacher" he tells me.

"What?!" I exclaim. Of all people it had to be her.

"Remi! It's time to go" Sirius says from the opposite side of my door.

"I'll be right down" I assure him. "I gotta to go dad, I'll be careful" I assure dad.

"Keep me updated and have a safe journey" he tells me. We say good bye and I pocket the mirror. I join the others downstairs and we set out for the station. We meet Dora along the way, she's disguised as an old lady. We arrive late, but still board the train in time.

Hermione and Ron left to go to the prefect carriage. Ginny and I told Harry he could sit with us. As we searched for a compartment, we ran into Neville outside one. Inside was Luna Lovegood, a girl in mine and Ginny's year. She is in Ravenclaw. We all sit with her and Neville introduced us to his new pot plant. A Mimbulus Mimbletonia.

The train ride was pretty uneventful. Hermione and Ron found us around lunch time. The told us who were the other new fifth year prefects. Anthony Goldstien and Padma Patil for Ravenclaw. Ernie Macmillan and Hannah Abbott for Hufflepuff. Lastly Draco Malfoy and Pansy Parkinson for Slytherin. I briefly wondered who'd get the prefect badges next year from my year. Dad was a prefect back when he was in school. I know he'd be proud if I got it.

When we arrived at Hogsmeade station, we took a carriage to Hogwarts. We sit at our table and notice Hagrid has not returned yet. Instead Grubbly-plank is sitting in his chair. I also noticed a witch dressed fully in pink sitting in the chair reserved for Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. Harry confirmed it was Dolores Umbridge, apparently she was at his hearing.

Anyway, we watched the sorting ceremony. Now Dumbledore stands up and tells us all to tuck in. That's exactly what we did as the feast appeared. I tried to focus on the food. While Hermione asked Nearly Headless Nick what he meant about the sorting hat giving warnings before.

(Time skip to after the feast)

Dumbledore stands to give his start of term speech. "Well, now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast, I beg a few moments of your attention for the usual start-of-term notices" he states. "First-years ought to know that the Forest in the grounds is out-of-bounds to students and a few of our older students ought to know by now, too" he adds. I chuckle as I share a look with the other three.

"Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me, for what he tells me is the four-hundred-and-sixty-second time, to remind you all that magic is not permitted in corridors between classes, nor are a number of other things, all of which can be checked on the extensive list now fastened to Mr. Filch's office door" Dumbledore states. Same old speech so far.

"We have had two changes in staffing this year. We are very pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures lessons; we are also delighted to introduce Professor Umbridge, our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher" he says introducing them. There was a round of polite but fairly unenthusiastic applause.

As he goes to continue his speech someone clears her throat with a 'hem hem'. It was Professor Umbridge. She stood from her seat and approaches the pedestal where Dumbledore is standing. "Thank you, headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all are going to be very good friends" she says with a fasle sweet smile. It's clear she distastes children.

"I'll be her friend as long as I don't have to borrow that cardigan" I hear Parvati says to Lavender. Both of them lapsed into silent giggles. Professor Umbridge cleared her throat again, before continuing her speech.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school, progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what can be preserved, perfect what can be perfected, and prune practices that ought to be prohibited" she finishes with a giggle.

She sat down. Dumbledore clapped. The staff followed his lead, though Harry noticed that several of them brought their hands together only once or twice before stopping. A few students joined in, but most had been taken unawares by the end of the speech, not having listened to more than a few words of it, and before they could start applauding properly, Dumbledore had stood up again.

"Thank you very much, Professor Umbridge, that was most illuminating" Dumbledore states. "Now, as I was saying, Quidditch tryouts will be held" he says continuing his speech.

"Yes, it certainly was illuminating" Hermione agrees.

"Before you boys ask, from Umbridge's speech. It hinted that the ministry is interfering at Hogwarts" I tell them. Hermione nods her head in a agreement. Dumbledore finished his speech and dismissed us. Hermione and Ron left t show the first years to the common room. I left with Harry, but neither of us thought to get the new password. Good thing Neville did and it's the name of his new plant.

I head straight to my dorm. I change into my pjs and lock my dorm room door with a flick of my wand. I called dad and told him about Umbridge's speech. "This is worse then I thought, be very careful Remi. If you have any problems with her, go straight to Dumbledore" he tells me.

"I will" I assure him. "I'm going to bed, good night and please stay safe" I tell him.

"I will, good night" he says. His face disappears. I transfigure the mirror and place it on my night stand. I unlocked the door and place my wand beside my transfigured two way mirror. Before going to sleep.

A/N

Picture above of Umbridge.