Chapter 15 - Welcome to New York

I was asleep. The city passed us as we were on our way to our hotel. Finneas parked by the street.
- Guys. We're here.
He said. All of us were asleep. Yasmin had her head on my shoulder. Josh yawned and looked out the window. I looked at Finn who looked at me in the reverse mirror. He smirked.
- Okay. Get out before I drag you all.
I stretched my arms and opened the car door. Yasmin went out and took out her suitcase. Josh said something to her that I didn't hear. Then Finneas came up to me and whispered in my ear:
- I want us to do something. Only you and me. Not anyone else.
I smiled and nodded. Then he put a strand of my hair behind my ear. I looked at Josh who didn't pay attention to us. Finneas looked at him as well and then back at me.
- That is why we need to have some alone time.
He said. I smiled and looked at Josh again.
- Okay you, let's go before you break your neck.
He went to the trunk and lifted out my suitcase and handed it to me. Then he checked his phone.
- Okay so I have the booking numbers and I assume Josh booked a room for 2? Right?
Josh looked up and gave him a thumbs up.
- Okay gang, let's get moving.

We walked into the hotel lobby and went up to the front desk.
- Hi. 2 rooms for Dalton.
The girl behind the desk tapped on her keyboard and looked up at Finneas.
- Uh, I only have one room reserved for Mr Dalton.
She said shewing her gum. Finneas looked back at Josh who smiled nervously.
- Oh, is that so. Oh well, I guess we'll take it.
The girl nodded and typed on her keyboard again.
- Alright Mr Dalton. You're all checked in and your room is ready.
She handed him the key and smiled extra wide at him. I rolled my eyes.
- Uh, thanks.
He said.

We walked over to the elevators and waited.
- So, you guys hungry?
Josh said checking his phone for restaurants near us.
- Josh, shut up.
Finneas said not looking at him.
- What?
Josh said.
- One room?
Josh shrugged.
- It's alright Finnigan, the girls will sleep in the bed and we'll take the couch and floor or something.
Finneas walked over to him.
- I will not sleep on the floor for 4 days. You will.
Josh looked over at me, I just smiled.
- Yeah, it's fine. I'll take the floor.
Josh swayed back and forth avoiding Finn's eyecontact.

Finneas opened the hotel door and we all walked inside.
- Sweet! There are 2 beds.
Josh said running and jumping on one of them.
- So cozy.
He said stretching his arms. Yasmin laid on the other bed and took off her shoes. Finneas leaned against the wall and I laughed at Josh's expression of happiness.
- Linny, come here.
Yasmin said patting on the bed. I went up the her and laid beside her.
- You're right Josh, this is a comfy ass bed.
Josh and Yasmin laughed. Finneas came running and jumped on top of Josh and satt on him.
- I can't breathe!
Josh squelched.
Finneas jumped off and went to the bathroom. Josh pulled the cover over him and awhile later you could hear him snore.
- Now's your chance girl.
I looked confused.
- You go out with Finn now. Explore. Make out on the subway. Go!
I looked at the bathroom door and smiled.
- Alright.
- I'll keep him busy.
Yasmin said looking mischievous. I shook my head.
- Yasmin no. Please.
She laughed and threw a pillow at me.
- I'm kidding. Now go.
- Okay, okay!
I stood up and put my jeans jacket on and put my hair in a ponytail. Then Finneas came out and smiled. I smiled back and then he realized when he saw Josh sleeping and Yasmin looking at her phone.
- I'll go down to the lobby and check something with the booking.
He said putting his jacket on.
- Mhm.
Yasmin said winking at me.
- I'll go with him. I need to stretch my legs.
- Sure.
Then we left.

We went down the elevator and ran out the hotel doors, out on the street. Then Finneas took my hand and we went out into the city.

- What do you wanna do first?
He asked me swinging our arms back and forth.
- I could use a coffee.
I said.
- Then let's go.
He took out his phone and searched for a good Coffee shop near us.
- Okay, there is one right around that corner.
Then I took my hands around his neck and pulled him to me and kissed him.
- Okay, I like this. Us in New York. Holding hands ands kissing on the street.
He said smiling and then he kissed me.
- I do too.
I said smiling, then I took his hand and we went to the cafe.

The cafe was almost empty. Just two women sitting at a table by the window drinking coffee. Finneas and I went up the the cashier.
- Hi and welcome, what can I get you?
The girl looked very sweet and welcoming.
- I'll have a black coffee.
Finneas said.
- And I'll have a latte.
The girl pressed some buttons on her screen.
- Coming right up! You sitting here or is it to go?
I looked at Finn. He shrugged.
- We'll take it here.
I said. The girl smiled and went behind a wall.
- Okay, you wanna sit by a window.
I asked him.
- What about here?
He said walking up to a table by a window. I nodded and walked to my chair and sat down. He sat down in front of me and took my hands.

The girl came up to us with our drinks.
- Thank you.
I said and dragged the drink on the table to Finn.
- Finneas- we haven't talked about you your mom. You know what Josh said a couple of days ago?
Finneas took a sip and looked out the window.
- Okay. First I wanna say I'm sorry, for not telling you. I wanted to, I just- I know how much she means to you. And I just wanted to tell you at the right moment. Not us standing in your kitchen making toast and having a great time. And then when Josh said it, it wasn't the best times before we left either.
He took my hand.
- You know I tell you everything that's on my mind.
He said squeezing my hand.
- Yeah I know, I just- it was a little awkward finding it out from Josh. It felt like you didn't want me to know.
I said.
- Trust me when I say, that is not the reason. I wanted to. It just wasn't the right time.
- But that's it Finn. Hard subjects like that you have to talk about, and it doesn't matter what time is right.
I said.
- Isn't it better for us to talk about it now, rather than making you upset then. There's no people around, no pressure on us to hide. Just us being able to talk about everything, and having all the time we need.
He squeezed my hand again.
- Yeah you're right. Now is better. You wanna tell me what's going on with her?
Finneas sighed.
- A couple of days ago she fell. In the kitchen. I wasn't home, so she couldn't get up til I got home and helped her. It was so hard seeing her. On the hard floor just not being able to stand up herself. And then the next day we went to the doctors and he said to me when she didn't hear that- she's probably going to have to sit in a wheelchair soon.
Finneas eyes flickered.
- And after the wheelchair, it's not so much left.
I saw tears in his eyes form. He wiped his tears away with his shirt.
- Finneas I'm so sorry.
I took my hand on his chin.
- I'll be there for you. Every step of the way. I'll help her, and you.
Then he started crying for real. It was heartbreaking seeing him cry like that.
- I'm so sorry.
I said walking up to him and hugged him hard.
- I love you.
I said. He hugged me back, crying hard.
- Thank you Linn.

After that we took a walk and continued to talk about Mary and other important stuff about her. Finneas was more calm now. He talked about her like she was the most important person in the world. And she really was. Mary didn't deserve this. Thinking about it makes my heart hurt. I hated it for her and for Finn.

When we came back to our hotel room the tv was on. But it was quiet. We snuck inside, took off our shoes and jackets. Then we saw them. Laying on the same bed sleeping. Yasmin turned one way and Josh turned to her. Having his arm around her. Finneas smiled wide. I laughed quietly. I was about to wake her up but then Finneas stopped me.
- Let them sleep.
He then took a blanket and laid it on them.

He sat down on the other bed and took his shirt off. He looked at me and smiled.
- I guess if they can sleep in the same bed, so can we.
I smiled and went up to him and laid down on the bed. He laid down next to me and covered us both with the sheets. Then he turned to me and laid a strand of hair behind my ear.
- You are so beautiful, you know that?
He said. His eyes were glimmering in the dark.
- You remind me all the time.
I said smirking at him and gave him a kiss. He took his hand on my cheek and kissed me back. We breathed heavily. I dragged my hand in his hair and I felt his heavy breath in my lips. He kissed my cheek and then my chin. Then he went down to my neck giving me goosebumps.

Josh made a sound and we quickly drifted apart. Then he started snoring and we both laughed. Then he stoked my cheek.
- Goodnight my love.
I kissed his hand.
- Goodnight Finneas.

Then he fell asleep. Finneas had his arms around me and his head buried in my neck. I felt him breathing against my skin. He had laid my hair to the side. I felt safe sleeping next to him.