Chapter 21 - Future happiness

Coming home to my room made me feel super tired. It was a warm thick air in it, from the lack of no one opening the windows. I went over to my window and opened it and took a deep breath off ocean air. I had missed this, so very much. Looking out of my window and seeing the ocean and my neighbors house. But still, it felt like summer was almost over.

I had fallen asleep for two hours. I sat up in my bed and reached for my water bottle that was empty. The curtain by my window swished back and forth. You could hear the waves. It was currently: 1.43 pm. I put on a pair of shorts and a blue sweatshirt and went downstairs to fill my water bottle. I went around looking my anyone who was home except for me. But the only one here was Josh who sat by the kitchen island by his computer.
- Where's mom and dad?
He turned around and shrugged.
- No idea.
He continued typing on his laptop and took a sip from his coffee.
- Do you know where they are?
I asked filling my water bottle.
- I think mom said they would be away for some hours. Don't know where they went.
I closed the water bottle and sat down next to Josh.
- When is it that you leave?
- 4 days. I'm leaving earlier than expected cause I have to unpack and stuff. Are you coming with us? Shipping me off.
He laughed but I sensed a bit of discomfort in his voice.
- Yeah of course. I can't miss shipping you off to Brown.
I smiled at him.

You can't really tell from me and Josh's relationship that we've ever been close. But I was truly upset by the fact that he was leaving. Cause even though mom and dad was away all the time, I could always find Josh sitting somewhere in the house. It felt less lonely. My whole childhood was surrounded by Josh and Finneas being here. Coming home after school, them making me a sandwich because mom forgot to make me one. Josh holding my hand when we crossed the road and quickly letting me go when we entered school. He was my big brother. And I would miss him like hell.

- Are you exited starting junior year?
He didn't look at me.
- Yeah.
I answered.
- Junior year is pretty easy, you'll fit right in.
Josh closed his laptop and took his phone from his pocket.
- I have to go.
- Where are you going?
He sighed.
- Finn's mom is at the hospital.
I felt a punch in my stomach.
- I wanna come too.

When we got to the hospital we quickly went inside and asked for Mary. And when we got to her room I saw Finneas. He sat outside by some chairs. Holding his hands around his head. Josh went up to hug him. Finneas stood up and started crying. I cried too.
- She fell. She couldn't get up. I drove here as fast as I could.
He's voice was shaking. Josh hugged him harder and he was crying too.
- The doctor said it not long.
I wiped my tears and went up to Finn and held his hand. He saw me and lifted me from the ground and hugged me hard.
- Thank god you're here!
- Of course.
I said calmly. Wiping my tears again with my sleeve, for Finn not to see me cry. I don't know why I couldn't show him how upset I was.

We sat outside Mary's room for an hour drinking coffee and no one said a word. We just sat there fidgeting with something. Then we heard the door open and in comes a girl. She looked very upset and when Finn was her he stood up and went up to her and hugged her.
- I'm so, so sorry Finneas.
She talked into his shirt. Finneas held her hand and went up to us.
- Hey Jess.
Josh said. Also standing up to hug her. Then I realized that it was Jessie. Finneas ex girlfriend. I know a had no right this moment to feel the least upset, but a part of me wanted her to leave. But I also knew that Finneas and Jessie had a good relationship, that didn't end bad. Just Jessie moving to California. I couldn't help but to think that Jessie and Finn would still be together if it weren't for Jessie moving.
- Hey, Linn.
Jessie said patting my shoulder as she sat down next to me.
- Hey. You're here.
I sounded a bit rude. I didn't mean to.
- Yeah, Finn called me and lucky for me I actually was in New York with my family. I came as quickly as I could.
She was very sweet. I could not, not like her. She laid her head against my shoulder, holding my hand. I didn't know Jessie at all, but having her here, was very helpful.
- Would you like anything to drink?
Finn asked her. She shook her head and smiled kindly at him. He nodded and sat down in the chair next to her. She took his hand as well, and held both our hands. I looked at Finneas who looked a little better.