S1 ep 6: Dying to dance

"I wanna talk about this upcoming weekend," Abby starts. "It's regional. Everybody knows how important that is. You know that's one of the toughest competitions out there. This is what's gonna happen this weekend. Evie, new solo. Maddie, new solo. Brooke, new solo. Chloe, new solo. Now the age categories are a little different, so we want to make sure that your dances reflect you as a dancer now and not at the beginning of the season.

We are doing a new group routine, and everybody's in it, the enter cast. It is called, 'Where Have All the Children Gone.' This is a routine about children who have gone missing. You've all seen the children's faces on the milk carton. It's contemporary, it's mature, and it is very dark. You have to be great actresses to pull it off," she looks towards the moms. "They're all in white like they're angels. I don't want any discrepancies; I don't want any opinions. Moms, I'm gonna go ahead and dismiss you know, we have a lot of work to do. Girls, let's get moving; let's get moving. Come on."

Getting up, the girls follow Abby into studio 'A.'

Evelyn was really excited about this week's routine. It's contemporary, which means it's her specialty. The routine is dark and emotional; she loves it.

When their time is up, Abby beckons them over. "Come in close, listen to me. Alright, you're dancing, you're doing the steps, you're trying to listen to the words. You're not interrupting the story correctly. And this is very serious because maybe people in the audience have had a child that's been missing, so you're gonna touch somebody's heart. So this has to be a very serious routine. And right now, you're just doing the steps, and we need to get past that, and we need to perform," she glances at Mackenzie and Vivi-Anne. "Do you two understand? It's very serious."

*********

"Evie, let's sit here," Maddie drags Evelyn over to a space near the walls. Evelyn lets her, too tired to argue.

It's Saturday, and they had just arrived at the competition site, and as usual, it was hectic as everyone tried to get ready to compete.

"Can everybody gather up so that I can talk to everybody? I want eye contact here," Abby orders. "There are people here from all over the place, and the reason is this is their last regional to qualify for their nationals, so I need you guys to be on your A-game." she points at Brooke, Chloe, Evie, and Maddie. "You have a new solo today, you have a new solo today, you have a new solo today, and you have a new solo today."

Evelyn blinks when she feels Abby palace her hand on her head. "I was gonna have you two dance in whatever the next age category is, nine to eleven. You've been having a really easy year. You're in eight and under, and your eight; you're on top of the age category. Yes?" Evelyn and Maddie nod. "Everybody else is in the bottom of the age category, so we're gonna bump you up and put you on the youngest side just so we see how you fare. Alright?"

Melissa nods her head in agreement. "Okay, but we have to get ready."

"Yes, we have to get ready." Abby agrees.

Evelyn chews on the bottom of her lips as she returns to her vanity. It was nice that Abby thought they were good enough to compete in the junior level, but... She glances over at Chloe, who didn't look very happy. It's not fair to Chloe.

It really sucked because even if she wanted Chloe to win, it wasn't in her nature not to give it her all, especially when she wants to go to nationals. She sighs again.

"Where is Brooke's costume?" Kelly asks a few moments later. Abby grabs a costume bag and hands it to her; Brooke holds it up to reveal a hot pink bra and bottom set with red dots.

"That looks like Mackenzie would wear that." Melissa comments before patting Evelyn on the back. "Go get changed, please."

Evelyn slides off the chair, grabbing her costume. "Okay."