Chapter 1

"¡Vosotros os rendiréis!". General José Martín shouted with his army of men carrying flags of the Castile crest as they marched into a newly found village not too far from the colonies. There were vacant homes and a small group of people-not much the general considered worth ridding of; however, he got off his horse and searched around. Most of the women were past childbearing age or on their way. A few minutes passed until he found a young girl who appeared to be around fifteen years old. She had black hair kept in two long braids and a complexion matching the ground beneath them. The general found himself bewitched by her beauty, daring to caress his hand against her cheek as he beckoned for his men.

"¡átala!" He called out with his men, binding her hands and feet as he watched. A grin appeared on his face as she began to cry out. It didn't matter if he could understand her; this could be who he was looking for.

Finally, it was time to return home, and despite the village women pleading for the young girl to be spared, the soldiers waved out their weapons, firing up at the heavens as they all stood back and watched them disappear into the vegetation.

Three years have passed, and the Villafranca family has arranged a ball for Lady Sálenos. No pressure, right? "Give me that." Lord Villafranca sighed. Only the glasses of wine seemed to be keeping him from going mad. But the gentle touch of his wife's hand appeared to settle a few of his apprehensions. "It will be all right," she whispered in his ear before greeting a few more constituents and wealthy families. Once everyone has settled, Queen Isabella arrives in an illustrious carriage with guards forming a path, ensuring that no unwanted persons ruin this evening. For Isabella, it wouldn't be that her life would be at risk, but the split second of attention would be stolen from her.

Everyone looks back as the queen steps out with her gown catching the eye of all her subjects, but when Lady Sálenos follows behind her, none can pull away. Not even the most lavish of gowns could pry away their gaze. Quickly, Isabella cleared her throat. "As you all know, Lady Sálenos has been like a daughter to me; from the moment she arrived, I knew she would be perfect; however, I believe she is ready to embark on the life of marriage." Isabella's heels clack against the wooden floors as she pulls a gentleman from the crowd. "My son, Sancho García Ramírez, is to be your new king!" Shock rises amongst the guests, but despite this, they begin to cheer and clap.

"Talk to her," she whispers to her son with eyebrows furrowed and her tone demanding. Sancho, like the others, was intimidated by Lady Sálenos beauty, her almond-shaped eyes drawing him in. "Would marriage be so terrifying?" He thought to himself as Lady Sálenos bowed before him. "Your highness, I am Lady Sálenos."

"Interesting night, don't you agree?" he laughed. Maybe a little longer than he should have, but Lady Sálenos seemed to have found it reassuring. "In the meantime, I think some fresh air would be best," he said, holding up his hand as she took a deep breath before following him out to the garden.

The news of a royal wedding approaching should spark a level of enthusiasm or eagerness; however, whispers amongst the guests questioned the queen's decision. "As beautiful as Lady Sálenos is, I wouldn't understand the appeal of bringing a woman of her color into the castle," one of the lords remarked. "What has Castile come too?" A lady replied.

From all the chatter inside, Prince Sancho and Lady Sálenos remained silent, only passing a few quick glances at one another. "Feliz cumpleaños, by the way," Prince Sancho finally says as she thanks him with the same diplomatic or lifeless way of speaking as if he had ordered her to do something. "If we are to be married soon, I believe you should know a few things about me. For instance, I have my own garden, which I tend to tend to pretty often," and one couldn't deny the prince had a muscular build. "And you?"