Chapter 9

Lady Sálenos resilience prevails as she, adorned in her gown, walks down a cobbled aisle decorated with vibrant flowers. Prince Sancho, clad in richly embroidered attire, awaits with anticipation. The church is filled with the resonance of a soft glow from candles and the melody of traditional music. Guests, dressed in opulent attire, witness the union amidst ornate tapestries and fine table settings, creating a scene of timeless romance and sophistication. However, for Lady Sálenos, this was the life she must settle for. "You look beautiful," Prince Sancho whispered with a smile, but try as she might. Sálenos could not return it but nodded her head. "Today marks a..." the priest bables about how marriage is such a momentous
accomplishment in a man and
woman's life. If hearing the end wasn't painful enough, Lord Alvaro appears a few seats away with a grin and marks covered in bandages. Despite leaving with her life, Lady Sálenos desires that Álvaro be beheaded. Men who violate women, knowing they do not have the influence or power to protect not only themselves but other young girls forced into pregnancy, enraged her. "We will get through this together," Sancho said calmly, his hand clasping hers. Sancho has much to learn, but his willingness to stay determined reassured a loss for human empathy. "Repeat after me with this ring, I thee wed, in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit." The priest asks as Lady Sálenos and Prince Sancho follow. They share a kiss as the crowd cheers happily.

During the late-evening festivities, Queen Isabella greets Lady Sálenos. "I do say I am quite proud of myself." Isabella said proudly.
"You should be without you; I don't think I could have made it this far," Lady Sálenos remarked, her brow raised with a wry smile. "Correct, you would still be in your savage ways, but thanks to me, you are now civilized," Isabella responded sharply. "However, you did almost come in second. My previous contender was said to be a temptress and supposedly sent off her plantation for seducing her superior-a shame really." Lady Sálenos wanted nothing more than to beat the queen senseless, but she promised a newly found confidant a chance for a new life.

Isabella is taken away by the delicious aroma of pastries, but before Lady Sálenos could indulge in a few herself, Agustín blocked her view. "Your grace," he said, bowing before her.
"My coronation is tomorrow," Sálenos corrected.
"True, but one cannot disregard your dress, which commands a level of regality." Agustín's tone sought to charm Lady Sálenos to have her body under him once more, but with a quick glance at Prince Sancho, she coldly asked Agustín if that was all. "Yes, my lady," he said, taking his leave. For all this night to be theirs, Lady Sálenos felt this was only Sanchos; he was the only one happily greeting the guests and making announcements.

She was merely meant to stay seen and not heard. It wasn't that the prince denied her speaking but didn't want to have Sálenos be told any more of what to do. However, a familiar face presents itself: Catalina, adorned in a refined blue gown. Her attire featured subtle detailing that gracefully highlighted her silhouette and hue, which accentuated her cool complexion. "I was astonished to have been invited nonetheless to wear a beautiful gown," Catalina laughed, examining the fabric. "You deserve it more than I do," a detached feeling came off Lady Sálenos tone.
"I may not possess the crown, but if you need reassurance, I will be there for you," Catalina said, poised. "Our welts and scars signify not just our suffering but our relentless efforts to endure."
"I promise to not falter." Lady Sálenos replied with an embrace as Catalina spoke softly, "We do not have to perpetuate continuous strength; it is alright to reveal our weaknesses."