Chapter 3

Moonlight fills empty halls with a soft glow, illuminating tapestries on walls, and the crimson hue of carpets decorating corridors. Lady Sálenos peers out her chamber doors, surveying each end carefully as she steps out. Her chamber doors creak when being closed, sending a shiver down Sálenos spine as she quickly looks to her left and then to her right. Lady Sálenos let out a sigh of relief when none of the members of the guard rushed to inspect the noise. With every advance, Sálenos looks back, her nerves on the verge of beating her as she almost runs back to her room when she spots a member of the guard coming down her direction, a candle in hand. However, Sálenos was able to quickly maneuver away.

Agustín had met with Lady Sálenos minutes before the exhibition had concluded, whispering in her ear instructions to find his bedroom. A gentle knock on Agustín's door Lady Sálenos anxiously awaits, having already paced up and down the hall before and in her own very room. This short intermission sends a forgotten feeling through her mind-hope, but something much more, but she interrupted in her thoughts when the door swings open as Agustín smiles. Lady Sálenos adored the comforting sensation when he did. "Sorry, I had taken a bath and unfortunately misjudged the time." The scent of cinnamon came off his rich, cool complexion.

"It is fine," Lady Sálenos replies, coming in as Agustín sits atop his bed. "What troubles you?" His eyes found Lady Sálenos once more. "Our conversation has imprinted itself in my mind, and despite my best efforts, it persists, prompting me to relive dreadful memories, and I struggle to relax myself." An uneasy tone shifts in her speech. Agustín stands up, catching Sálenos hand.

The flowing of nerves being absorbed by his touch. "I have never met a woman who has captivated me the way you have," he admits. Without a second thought, Agustín places his lips against her neck. "I'm deeply sorry; I didn't mean-"

Agustín is interrupted by Lady Sálenos soft kiss forwarding him back to her as she and him begin removing each other's garments, with Sálenos night gown on the floor and Agustín chest bare. The room spins around in a dance as their desire for one another resonates in visceral ecstasy. Still, the harsh reality creeps into her hand, and she pushes Agustín away with tears forming in her eyes.

"Did I hurt you?" He says loudly, hesitating to touch Lady Sálenos again, terrified of what he may have done, but she shakes her head. "No, you did not." A sigh of relief washed over him. "All is well?"

"We have only known each other for a short time, and I'm already throwing myself at you. I will become queen of Castile, a kingdom that despises me, and marry a man I do not want." Lady Sálenos continues with her lips quivering, "I crave your body on top of mine, your voice whispering into my ear, but I cannot risk your life for my desires."

"They're not only yours," Agustín retorts. "Before you entered my life, I had no one with whom I could express my deepest feelings. I would rather die than continue to live in this monstrous country that would rather have men like me in chains." The desperation in his voice as he bellowed, clinging to his sheets, "Please, I beg." Lady Sálenos couldn't have foreseen how harrowing tonight's events would become. Yet she composed herself and went to comfort Agustín in an embrace as she muttered, "This kingdom has many flaws, but I have been given an opportunity to resolve issues not only for my people but for yours. A woman like me is not privileged to choose what she wishes, but a queen can."

"Promise me you will save us." Agustín whimpered.
"I will do my best."
Lady Sálenos cradles Agustín within her breasts, feeling his body fall into hers as his rapid breaths fade. Agustín dozes off into sleep, securing an easy departure for Sálenos as she gathers her nightgown. "Goodbye," she thought to herself, not only to the man before her but to the naive girl she must let go.