May 1940- A City in Siberia, USSR

The man in front of Titania was as tall as he was wide. He eyed Timofei greedily. Titania looked around for escape routes. In every direction there seemed to only be ruins and abandoned buildings. Mama had said that we were going to the river, and they had climbed into a automobile. Not the family automobile. They hadn't had one of those in years.

But, regardless of the red flags, Titania had trusted Mama, like all little girls are wont to do. They had stopped here. There was no river in sight. The cruelly beautiful woman Titania called "Mama" stood a few meters away, speaking to the man.

The sun was setting, and Titania could see Mama's shadow as she gestured. She could only hear snippets of the conversation. "The Germans will come", "America", "he's too young,", "take the girl", and "she's worth more than that." Titania inched forward to pull Timofei behind her.

She spoke aross the dirt, "What are you talking about?" Her voice was carried by the wind, making it seem shrill and quavering.

Timofei hugged her waist, "Tanya, Tanya, don't say anything! Mama said we were supposed to be quiet."

She peered back at the tiny boy's huge blue eyes, "Don't worry, little bird. You should never be afraid to ask questions." Titania smiled to cover up the uncertainty in her heart.

The adults ignored her question and continued their discussion. The man handed a thick roll of green banknotes to Mama, transferring it from his tanned hand to her pale and slender one, and started to advance toward her and Timofei.

Titania jumped back, pushing Timofei back as well. "Get away!" She hissed at him.

He grunted and grabbed her arms. She writhed and clamped her teeth on his meaty hand. The man howled but held on.

Titania looked at Mama, "Mama! Don't let him take me! Mama! Mama, help me! Please, Mama! I'll be good! Mama! Mama!" Mama scooped up Timofei, but made no response. The man dragged her toward the automobile. She tried desperately to make some traction in the dirt, but she tripped. The man continued on, leaving her feet to trail in the dust.

"Tanya! Tanya! Tanya! Fight, Tanya! Tanya, come back!" Timofei screamed, his little fists pounding Mama's white face. "Mama! Don't let that man take Tanya! Why won't you help her! Tanya!"

Titania searched for anything to say. An image for Timofei to remember. The man threw her into the car and she tried to climb out, scrambling over the door. The man sighed, "This will go much easier if you stop struggling." He grabbed her again and drew a cord from the back of the car.

Titania pulled at the man's grip, "Said the fox to the rabbit." The man tied her wrists together tightly, cutting off her circulation. He toppled her into the dust and did the same to her ankles.

"Tanya!" Timofei cried, tears streaming down his red face. Titania could barely see him in the dark.

"Timofei! Be brave! Don't let them hurt you, Timofei!" Titania screeched as the man tossed her back into the automobile. The man climbed in and started the ignition. Titania heard Timofei's screams for the next six kilometers.