11 - mistakes

"I've missed you", Leah grinned as she took me into a hug, her arms wrapping around my fragile body tightly.

She pulled away the tiniest inch as I knew she'd felt my ribs during the contact, but I breathed a sigh of relief as let go of me after another instance.

"It's only been a week", I smiled as Leah took my suitcase from me, the two of us strolling through the airport.

Leah scoffed.

"If you think I've missed you too much, you should see Beth. I had to tell her to wait in the car, she would've caused absolute havoc here", she laughed as she pushed a door open, allowing for me to walk through.

The London air hit me coldly as winter was slowly arriving in the town, rain casting downwards from the grey sky above us. Leah pointed to her car and as I pulled my jacket's hood on, I began jogging towards the car, desperate to escape the cold.

Beth was sitting in the front seat so I quickly climbed into the back, shutting the door as Leah was loading my luggage into the trunk.

"Ellie!", Beth yelled, reaching back to take me into another hug. I hugged her back hesitantly, not aiming for her to have the same realisation as Leah'd had.

"I've missed you", she grinned happily as she moved back to her own seat, just when Leah got into the car.

"Would'ya turn on the heat, please?", Beth asked loudly, and even though I hadn't expected her to be present when Leah'd told me she'd be picking me up, I couldn't exactly mind. I'd missed her loud voice.

"Viv's not back yet, I figure?", I asked as I put on the seatbelt.

"Ugh, don't remind me", Beth sighed dramatically, making me chuckle.

"Who fancies a coffee?", Leah asked as Beth and I both agreed and she headed towards the city, glad to finally show me her favourite café.

"So, how was it in Germany?", Leah opened as we sat down at our table, beverages in each of our hand.

I sighed, not really knowing which part of the truth I should tell. Realistically, there was no reason to lie to Leah and Beth, as they both were some of my best friends. But then again-

"It was okay", I decided to settle for a somewhat truth.

"You know what wasn't okay? That free kick you caused", Beth nagged, taking a sip of her coffee.

I had to recoil from sighing again.

"I know. Didn't really have my head in the game."

Leah snuck me a glance from the side.

"Why? What's going on?"

"I don't know, just some family things. My brother being a teenager", I huffed, deciding to believe in Syd's theory for just a second and forget about the part that Marik would probably poke my eyes out if he had the chance.

"But I did score two goals, so", I shrugged, grinning confidently as I was desperate to change the topic.

"Ugh, I know! They were brilliant!", Beth immediately agreed, this time Leah being the one to sigh.

"Don't push her ego, Beth. Her head will explode", she laughed, taking a sip of her own coffee.

"Oh I'm not sure about that, she seems to have a lot of space in there!"

Beth reached out to me quicker than I could react, muffling my hair quickly as I put my hands up in defense. I'd come too late, I quickly realized, as my hair was everywhere except where I wanted it to be, and Beth grinned victoriously.