43

3 weeks later

Meredith was still in the hospital but was making significant progress she could sit up on her own and had started to regain some strength in her arms the fine motor skills still weren't there and she still struggled with the strength in her legs but she was getting there. Today was the day Kai was going to propose to Amelia. Meredith had asked Amelia to come to her room once her shift was over, the second Amelia's shift ended their plan started.
"Hey Mer, how are you feeling?" Amelia asked smiling as she entered her sister's hospital room.
"I'm great, but I think my bed is sitting a bit low could you possibly adjust it for me?" Meredith asked smiling,
"Of course," Amelia replied bending down next to Meredith's bed to fiddle with the controls, as she did a line of people silently made their way into Meredith room. First was Maggie who was holding both of the twins followed by Maggie and Winston who was holding scout. Richard followed closely behind along with Arizona and all four of their children. Amelia hadn't noticed them until she stood up looking at all her friends confused. Suddenly music started to play and Amelia looked at Meredith who smiled at her, winking.
The line of people parted revealing Kai standing in a suit with a bouquet of roses,
"Kai what's going on?" Amelia asked but instead of answering Kai stepped forwards passing the roses to Amelia.
"Amy my love, I love you more than words can describe. You are the most amazing partner anyone could ask for. You are the mother of our children, whom to you are the best mother in the world. So with our family here today although unconventional I want to ask you one question?" Kai said knelling in-front of Amelia as Ellis ran over passing a small box to Kai.
"Amelia Frances Shepherd, I love you so much, will you marry me?" Kai asked revealing a beautiful emerald ring.
Amelia looked at Kai for moment quickly glancing at Meredith who nodded her head, before Amelia turned back to Kai.
"Yes yes! Oh my god yes!" Amelia cheered pulling Kai into a kiss. " I love you so much," Amelia sighed hugging Kai. As the couple embraced the whole room cheered with excitement.
"Congratulations Amy, you deserve it." Addison said hugging her sister after she'd put the ring on.
"Thank you, Addie." Amelia replied beaming.
The other had began to congratulate Kai as well as Amelia and Addison talked, the hadn't really said much though when they were interrupted
"Excuse me could you please have that conversation over here," Meredith spoke, laughing "I can't exactly come join you."
"Sorry mer." Addison laughed walking over to Meredith who was sitting up in her bed.
"How long did you know Kai was going to propose?" Amelia asked sitting down on the edge of Meredith's bed as Addison sat in the chair.
"I only found out a few days ago when Kai told me the plan," Addison answered, honestly as Meredith smiled.
"Mer how long did you know?" Amelia asked
"You always said I couldn't keep a secret, but I did I've know for three weeks." Meredith replied smiling.
"What how?" Addison said,
"Well Kai first asked for my blessing but also wanted my help picking out the ring, I really hope you like it." Meredith answered.
"Kai asked your blessing?" Amelia asked smiling
"Yeah, they said they would normally ask a father figure but they couldn't do that and they said you had a falling out with your family while I was in the coma so they felt it right to ask me. I said yes of course." Meredith explained, "you'll need to fill me in on the falling out by the way" she added.
"Oh that's so sweet of Kai," Addison said, "Amy let me see the ring, I'm sure if Mer helped pick it out it's beautiful."
"It is beautiful look." Amelia replied, showing Addison the emerald ring that was in the shape of a diamond with small diamonds coming off one side. (Picture at the bottom).
"They even had it engraved look," Amelia added passing the ring to Addison, who saw the engraving inside nearly crying for her sister.
"Oi, show me what it says Kai didn't say anything about engravings," Addison moved the ring to show Meredith the letters engraved inside.
Inside the ring was engraved with four letters,
An S surrounded by a heart,
Then an F&H both enclosed the in same heart
And a C also encased in a heart but this heart had small wings.
"That is amazing Amy," Meredith said smiling.
"I know Kai is the most thoughtful person in the world." Amelia said slipping her ring back on.