9. rightful damnation.

"So Blaise," Draco said the next afternoon, leaning back onto his hands tucked underneath his head. He was laying back in his four poster, smirking at his best mate.

"Hm?" Zabini replied, not looking up from the book he was reading as he sat up in his own fourposter next door.

"Did you enjoy the party?" Draco asked deviously.

Blaise slammed his book down onto his lap. "Suck my fucking cock Draco," he snapped irritably.

"Not again Blaise, I'm tired," Draco whined theatrically.

Blaise was mad because Draco was torturing him, fucking with him over the dark purple, big-ass goddamn hickey on his neck.

"Onyx got tentacles or some shit?" Theo asked, as he was laying out on the floor between their beds, book raised up so he could read it while he laid on his back.

"How do you know it was Onyx?" Blaise asked, cocking his head to the side and leaning over the edge of his bed to look down at Theodore.

Draco knew it was Onyx. It was not a hunch, exactly, nor did he have concrete proof. But he knew that it wasn't Evan, so it must have been Onyx. They had been making out with each other off and on since the beginning of the term—a couple of times being right before Draco's eyes.

"Are you trying to act like it's a coincidence that when I went down to get Crabbe, Onyx was cleaning up the party mess with fucking black and white makeup smudged all over her face?" Theo asked with a inspecting head tilt.

"Oh shit," Draco laughed.

Blaise went silent, but Draco had to ask.

"Does this mean you're over Blackwood?" Draco asked his best mate, trying to appear annoyed at the mention of her name—the surname that he had stuttered because he almost called her Evan.

Blaise set his book over his face, hiding in it and collapsing back into his mattress.

"I'm a dumbfuck," he said into the book.

Clearly.

- - -

"Pansy's still upset," Evan told Draco, four days after Halloween as they walked to the Great Hall for dinner.

Draco scowled at the back of her head. Evan stepped into line, the crowd of Hogwarts students bottlenecking through the Great Hall doors. Draco stepped into line behind her, throwing whispered irritation over Evangeline's shoulder.

"Nothing, especially Pansy fucking Parkinson, is going to keep me from getting what I want," Draco growled menacingly.

"I'm saying no," Evan whispered without turning around. "Until she stops getting hammered every night, you're shit out of luck."

"She did that far before I hurt her feelings," Draco scoffed, rolling his eyes. He leaned over onto the wall, catching a glimpse of Evan's hardened face. "Besides. It's not like she was ever my bloody girlfriend. She's just a gold digger who's been trying to hop on my dick since third year."

"That's my best friend you're speaking of," Evan hissed, turning to spit venom at him over her shoulder. Draco stood up straighter, about to open his mouth to protest, to tell Evan that Pansy was, irrefutably, a very bad friend. Evan took another breath before he could even begin his rebuttal. "Are you going to treat me like a nuisance as well, after you fuck me?"

Draco's face fell in understanding of her insinuation. Evan was walking through the doorway, not looking back, strutting in front of Draco's narrowed eyes. A Gryffindor bumped into Draco because he had stopped dead in his tracks.