14. hell raiser.

"Onyx—"

"Fuck off, Draco," Onyx hissed when he walked up to the table, where her and Blaise were sitting now that the party had resumed. They were both drinking, whispering to each other. They went silent when Draco walked over.

He turned to Blaise.

"I didn't mean to say it, I swear to Merlin," Draco said in agony. He raised his eyebrows at Zabini expectantly.

Blaise set down his cup. "It's not about me, mate," he scoffed.

Draco stood up straighter, deciding what to do next. He had been in his dormitory for the past couple of hours, pacing back and forth and chain smoking. But now, he knew what he needed to do.

"I'll be back," he told them.

"Didn't you notice, Draco?" Onyx said with a sadistic smile. He thought Onyx was just as furious with him as Evan probably was. "Pansy's preoccupied."

Parkinson was snogging Theo on the couch, right out in the open. Draco looked over at them with a hateful scowl. Theo was too drunk to notice what happened, and Pansy was just being a piece of shit.

"I'm not going to Pansy—I'm going to Evan," Draco said through gritted teeth.

"She . . . ran off," Blaise said in bewilderment, his face falling.

"Yeah. I'll be back soon," he said. He tore over to the portait hole and stepped through it.

After their fourth-year duel over Cedric Diggory, Draco had discovered Evangeline Blackwood's hiding place.

That night, after the duel and after Madam Pomphrey had fixed him up from the stinging jinxes and other malicious injuries, Evan completely and utterly disappeared. Onyx was complaining that she was worried—as Evangeline had been gone for hours. Blaise thought she was hiding somewhere in the castle, sulking in some dark classroom or a deserted corridor. Once Theo started saying that she might have ran away, escaping the castle and going Merlin's knows where, Draco got up from where they were chatting at the table and went off to find her.

He didn't tell their other friends where he was going. He snuck out of the dungeon in the middle of the night, making the excuse that he wanted to party with the Ravenclaws—to snag some painkillers for his shit day. They believed it, and stayed home. He embarked on his quest alone.

Draco had looked at all of the hiding places he could think of. He checked the library, the Room of Requirement, Myrtle's bathroom. He knocked on Gryffindor's door and confused the shit out of Dean Thomas. He confused Hagrid even more, then checked the lake and the boathouse.

He had found her at the Astronomy Tower.

Fourteen year old Evangeline hadn't been crying—she hadn't even seemed upset. She was just standing by the balcony casually, smoking a cigarette by the railing and staring off into the cloudless night sky, her back turned to the entrance as Draco lurked in the shadows. He didn't go up and talk to her. He just turned back around and went to bed without her even noticing he had walked in.

Three years later, Draco found her in that very same way. It was an uncanny resemblance.

When he walked into the Astronomy Tower, he was not sneaking around as he had forth year. He walked right in, approaching her slowly as she stood by the railing. She noticed him immediately, her ears perking up at the sound of his footsteps.

"Unless you're here to expell me, I suggest you leave," Evan said, not even turning around. Her voice was so hardened, so threatening.

Draco walked over to the railing. Once he approached, he turned towards her, leaning over the rail and staring at her side profile. She didn't look over; she just took another drag. Her eyes were illuminated by the moonlight,  and they looked rather red and puffed. Her atmosphere was still as strong and commanding as ever as she looked out onto the darkened castle grounds.