Chapter 26

Sam

The chart was clearly laid out, across the entire galaxy just from what we and the Tok'ra were collecting planetary masses were seemingly disappearing all at equal distances to Earth. It was more than coincidental at this point, and the timing started as soon as Eleanor stepped through the gate.

"It was as if a blue plasma shield engulfed the entire moon and it blinked out." I quoted my father's description of the event that happened near one of their ships when patrolling safety quadrants.

Eleanor's face blanched. "I know what that is." Her voice was barely audible.

"Yeah, you sure do." McKay leaned back in his chair as if he had won an argument no one was debating. "You have it written in your little diaries over and over again in the margins."

"She didn't cause this," Daniel kept his calm demeanor sitting next to her there as she was trembling in her own seat. As if this were all a big mistake and he simply shrugged McKay off.

"No? Seems like she is the exact cause."

"How Rodney? When she and I both are from the same timeline? This wasn't happening when I jumped." His face started to darken behind the stable mask he was wearing.

McKay turned back to me as if I were on his side and sniped, "you're delusional and don't want to listen to facts. I say we send her back and..."

"You're not sending my wife anywhere." Daniel ground out standing to his feet in one swift motion. "You are not laying a finger on her."

A silence fell over the room. McKay looked back at the two of them and barked out in laughter. "Oh, wow, that's rich. The world really does revolve around the two of you huh? Planets are blinking out of existence and you run off and..."

"And what? You think planned to get called in on their time off to talk about how she's fucked up the universe?" Jack turned to Eleanor and gave her an apologetic look as she just stared in horror at the diagram. "She got abducted the last time they went on vacation. I'm surprised she even leaves the house. Dammit McKay, you entitled little weasel, I told you not to say anything and let them have their trip. What weird high are you getting out of this?"

McKay snarked, "sorry I'm cutting into your honeymoon but the galaxy is..."

"Shut up!" She screamed and stood to her feet next to Daniel who's hands were clamped onto the table to keep from jumping across at McKay's throat. "All of you. I'm right here. If I am the cause of all of this, address me. Sam, I'm sure you can back me up with the technical wording but my timeline is bleeding into this one and dissolving planets, moons, stars, and people are in danger because of me." A tear fell down her face and she quickly wiped it away. "How do I fix this? What should I do?"

"We don't know yet." I said calmly back to her and a shuddering breath escaped her.

"So, to be clear, you called me in here today to tell me I am bringing death to the galaxy, and we don't know what to do yet?" She glared across the table at McKay who slowly sat back down. "To scold me? For trying to help you all in the first place? You were there, all of you were in my timeline, and the only thing to do was for Daniel to go through the gate and reverse it, alone. I watched all of you vanish the moment he left, knowing you all were blissfully unaware of what I saw, what I lived, back there. Knowing when he landed here that me, the real me, also was supposed to be gone. I saw him walk through that gate thinking that this body would never see him again and I took it for the good of the universe." She clutched onto her sweater, no doubt holding her body from falling apart at our feet. "I was stuck there for six months scavenging for food, supplies, talking to myself and only hearing his voice speak back to me, thinking I was going crazy. Smelling decay when I stepped outside, nothing, there was nothing, and I was alone. I was alone and scared and I found a way back to a home here. How is all of that my fault?" Her eyes were ablaze through their misty film as she stared down McKay from across the table. "I came back here to the one person who I loved enough to drain my soul into to bring back from the dead and somehow we made a quantum tether through a remote you made. Should I have stayed instead? Should I have let the void of time close in on me unaware of what would happen? No. Because you'd have the same problem now and I would still be in that torturous hell. I live every day knowing I shouldn't be here, that every moment is borrowed time. You don't need to remind me, you don't need to light a fire at my feet and burn me on the pyre Rodney, you need to give me examples of how I can fix this."