Desperate

Mother says I must go to the ball.

well, her true words were, "you must find a man before you find a wrinkle"

I'm 18, too old to be single. Mother thinks there will be an expansive amount of wealthy men at the prince's engagement ceremony. At this point I'll do anything to find someone to provide. I'm tired of selling hard bread on the streets.

I wish I knew how to appeal to men. I would ask father, but he had an affair with the town seamstress. They were both hung in the Square. Evershed does not permit adultery.

I must wash up before I choose a dress. I'm sweaty from baking all day. The shop does not have a conditioning unit. At least I made 11 Gilders. should be enough for breakfast tomorrow.

"Lucille!" mother beckons "get down this instant!"

maybe I don't have time to wash.

I race down the steps, picking up my torn skirt as I do. The stairs creek under my toes, and I wonder if I should make time to fix them.

"well..." mother prompts.

My eyebrows scrunch. "well, what " I question.

" where is your dress?"

I'm sure mother would have a heart attack if she found out that I hadn't chosen yet.

"It's upstairs, shall I fetch it?" I lie.

Mother groans, while nodding.

I climb the stairs.

I go to my old dresser, ad sort through the unorganized clothes. There must be something here, even if it has a few holes or stains.

After a few moments I find a black corset. Mother brought it for me at the market when she thought our bakery was finally doing well. It wasn't.

The corset is small. I understand that they are supposed to be, but I got this years ago. It would have to do.

I pair it with a long black skirt that covers the ankles. I don't want to come of as a tramp.

When I meet mother downstairs, I give her a pleading look. "I know it isn't a dress, but it's all I have, honestly."

Her lips purse. "You best get going. You wouldn't want to be late."

I nod, and stride to her. "I'll find someone, mother. Everything will be alright.

I'm her only child, and our company is failing. I'm her only hope.

"I know you won't fail me, Lucile."

Nobody calls me that. Not that I have many that could call me something other. But the few friends Ive made, call me lucy.

I smile nonetheless, and head out the door. Ready for an hour and a half walk to the kings palace.

When I get there, they make everybody go through a multitude of tests. I'm already exhausted, and likely dripping in sweat. There is no way a man will ever court me. I'm dirty, and my clothes don't fit right. Everybody can tell how penny-less I am.

Once I am admitted into the ball, I take advantage of the complementary snacks. It's a bit surprising the royal family did that. They invited everybody in Evershed to their engagement ceremony, and to provide food for them all? That's thoughtful. There are many times when I find the royals displeasing. But At least they are trying for us. They are making an effort, even if it is small.

People are dancing everywhere, but I am searching for a male. My eyes dance through the crows trying to find anyone. Even if I did, I don't how I would ever work up the courage to ask them. It would be humiliating. Most people here have money. Most of the people in poverty chose not to come. There isn't much for them here. I'm up for anything, though. What do I have more to lose?

The music fades out as an announcer comes on the speaker. Im not sure who it is, I would probably know if we could afford a television to stream the news. We wouldn't even have time to use it, though.

The speaker introduces the prince, Xander and his fiancé, Eliza. the center of this ball.

They enter the middle of the room, the guests part for them. They're hand in hand, feigning love as they stare at eachother. I know it's fake, I'm mot dim witted. These two have been expected to marry since birth. The entire royal family must take part in an arranged marriage, everybody knows this. Still, they must pretend for the audience.

I'm sure that Xander is nothing like he's portrayed in the media. (Not that I have much access to the media, but when you're rummaging through ally's for food, you might find some old newspapers.)

Xander is good looking, most of the royals are. He has fluffy chestnut brown hair, and a sun kissed body. I'm almost 100% sure that every girl in Evershed has a crush on him. I like his looks myself, but it does no good do dwell on that. I try not to daydream, it only brings pain. Plus, he's likely extremely mean and spoiled, so I wouldn't want to be with him if I could.

They begin to dance, as people watch in awe.

I down my drink.

This will be a long night.

This is stupid. Why would mother make me come. She knows that nothing good would come out of this.

The two a graceful as they move. They've probably choreographed This dance a million times.

Xander smiles at Eliza.

I sigh, about to go back for more food, when Xander locks eyes with me from across the room, and my chest implodes.