Shadow

Later that day, I take a stroll in the garden, trying to clear my mind.

Mother seems happy, I'm glad. That's all I've ever wanted for us.

I'm just so confused. I don't know what to think. I don't know what's going on.

Out of nowhere, I feel a rush of unease.

My eyes search the surrounding area. All I find are trees and plants.

I swear somebody's watching me.

I like to think I'm pretty perceptive. I know when danger is near.

I decide it's best to make my way inside.

Just in case.

Today, mother and I made brownies. They were probably the best thing I've ever eaten. I'm so thankful I have the tools to make any meal or desert I want.

I want to go out in the garden again. I like walks, and fresh air. But it's dark, and I'm worried if somebody else is out there. I chose to go out on my baloney.

It's nice. I've never had one before. I like looking over the misty trees, imagining what is beyond them. It's very calming.

Or it was until I look down, and see a figure in all black staring at me.

🎵Formula-labyrinth

My breath hitches.

He's here to hurt me. I know it. I try to read his face, but it's hidden in the nights darkness.

I knew somebody was watching me.

I scramble inside.

What if he makes his way in? I know we have guard's, but not many, and they probably wouldn't try too hard to protect us. What if they hurt mother? I need to tell somebody. Somebody I know and trust. My options aren't wide.

My gaze goes to a card on the desk. HIS card. His number is on it. My best bet is to call. What's the worst that could happen? I need to try. I would do anything to keep my family safe, (even if it isn't a very large one).

The phone rings only twice before he picks up.

"Hello?" He talks as if surprised, like it's unbelievable I would ever call him. I wouldn't, if I could avoid it.

"Hi, yes." I say, awkwardly. "I'm calling due to sighting a man in the garden." What is wrong with me? Why am I talking so formally?

"Uhmmm, what?" It's not shocking that he's confused. I would be too, if this random girl I barely knew was calling to tell me about a stalker in her garden.

I inhale, "There's a person watching me in the garden. He won't leave, and he's been here for a while." I exhale.

He doesn't reply. "Are you still there?" I ask, dejectedly.

"I'm here." He rasps. I hear an engine starting in the background. "Stay where you are. Don't go outside. I'll be there soon." I nod, knowing he can't see me. "Stay on the line, Lucile" my eyes widen. He's never called me by name before. His voice wraps around my name like a caress, and I hate myself for noticing.

After a few minutes of silence, the doorbell rings and he growls over the phone, "I'm here"

I hang up and rush down the 42 stairs (I counted)

I open the door, Xander's gaze immediately finds mine. His chest is rising and falling rapidly.

"Are you okay?" He asks. Could that be concern swirling in his eyes?

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine." I stutter.

"You said he was in the garden, correct?"

I nod.

He pushes past me without a word, he makes his way to the sliding door that's leads to the outside.

I stand there frozen, unable to form any thoughts that make sense.

I hear footsteps descending the steps. I look i up and find my mothers questioning face.

I don't lie to her. "It's the prince, he's securing the premises." Well. It's not truly a lie, I just left out the part about the creepy stalker.

Xander renters the house a few moments later "I didn't find anything, but I'll make sure to get you a few new guards as soon as possible." I nod a second time. "Please call me if anything else happens. Got it?" I've never heard him say 'please' before. It's oddly enticing.

"Yup." I pretend to be chippy, when I'm the farthest thing from it.

"Good girl" he mumbles.

They way he says that phrase makes my insides melt.

I don't show him what he's doing to me.

He smirks, as if he knows something I don't. He flusters and frustrates me at the same time.

He turns toward the door. Before leaving, he dips his head to my mom.

I roll my eyes What a gentleman.