Confusion

I went home, trying to use this free time to my advantage. I need sleep, I'm exhausted.

Mother asked how it was, I replied with "fine" she knows it wasn't. If it was, I wouldn't be home so early. I'm thankful she decided not to pry anymore.

Unsurprisingly, I'm unable to sleep.

I have a mate.

When I was younger, I used to dream about having a mate. Having somebody who was there for me. Who could protect me.

After a few years, I abandoned that notion.

I can't forget my encounter with the prince. It was extremely surreal.

Now that I'm home, I feel..empty? I can't quite place this feeling. Like I'm missing something.

What's wrong with me?

I don't get any sleep that night.

I woke up to mother beckoning me downstairs.

I was curious why. Was it a costumer? It's Thursday, usually people only come in on weekends.

I groan and roll out of the hard mattress on the floor.

I rush to pick up my home-made comb. Then I throw on my apron over my old dress that I use as nightwear.

Mother calls my name once more.

"I'm coming!" I howl.

My mothers eyes meet me and the bottom of the stairs. Her face radiates distress.

I'm immediately cautious. "What's going on"

Mothers head motions in the direction of the door.

I turn to see a perfectly tailored man. He's wearing a suit, and his hair is thoroughly slicked back.

"He says he works for the royals." Mother whispers.

Shit.

I'm so dead.

Xander probably told them to get rid of me. Likely something along those lines.

My mind starts searching for ways to escape the wrath of the prince. It'll be hard, nobody really ever escapes the royals.

I inhale deeply, and approach the man.

"Hello, ms fairbourn." His voice is perfectly even. I swallow. "Do you mind if we speak alone?" He asks

I nod, and request him to follow me.

I lead him to the small kitchen in the back.

He speaks first, "I'm here on accord for mr Xander Montgomery." Oh god. "Mr Montgomery wished for you to be moved from your house." It's better than dying.

"Alright.." I reply, wistfully. "I'll pack my things"

I'll find away to survive without a roof over my head. Mother doesn't deserve this. All she's ever wanted was for me to be stable and happy. I ruined everything. The stupid universe just HAD to put me and the prince together.

"Very well then" the man leaves the kitchen, I follow after.

The rusty door to the outside creaks as the man shuts it behind him.

I prepare myself to tell mother the bitter news.

"They're making us move out." I cry.

I stare at my feet.

"Why?" She inquires.

"I uh, I don't know." If I tell mother, she would get her hopes up, and try to interfere. She could even go as far as to tell someone. That probably wouldn't matter. Xander has probably told the entire palace already.

"Did something happen at the ball?" Mother gives me a disapproving look.

I'm glad she doesn't seem too distraught. We already knew we went going to survive much longer, food was getting scarce, and so were customers. this is just speeding up the process a bit.

"I guess I'll pack up."

I nod at her words.

We both don't have much to pack up.

It really is a shame that we lost the bakery. It's one of the few things I like doing, baking that is.

I put most of my clothes in a plastic bag. I don't have much beyond that other then a few pictures, some knick-knacks, and the first whisk I ever got.

I meet my mom downstairs, and we head outside. The atmosphere is extremely dreary.

A limousine is parked in-front of our house. It looks extremely out of place in this neighborhood.

The same man from earlier exits the driver seat, and comes up to us, his hands outreached.

I feel my eyebrows scrunch.

Have they changed their mind?
Are they going to kill me?

"Your bag, miss?"

What?

Maybe I'm not allowed to take my things with me. That's cruel.

I turn to my mother. And give her a questionable look.

She replies with a shrug.

I hesitantly hand my bag to the man. Mother does the same.

He puts them in the trunk of the vehicle.

Mother and I stand there, dumbstruck. Our life has just been uprooted (happens a lot when you're as destitute as we are, but still) what do we do now?

The man circles back around, and opens the car door. He gestures for us to enter.

I'm so confused.

Maybe they're driving us out of town. They'll probably ditch us in the middle of nowhere, just so they don't have to deal with us anymore.

I scramble inside.

After a few moments, mother decides to join me.

He closes the door behind us, then moves to sit in the front.

I hold mothers hand.

We have each other.

I would ask the driver wear we're going, but there is a screen separating us, and I don't know how to put it down, nor do I want to cause a hassle. I'm going to be as agreeable as possible, because I could be heading to the electric chair instead right now. I guess I still totally could be. 

After 30 or so minutes, we turn onto a beautiful driveway. I look out the window, and find a stunning mansion, likely the prettiest and biggest house I've seen. (Second to the palace of course) it's multiple stories, and all white. There are many different types of flowers climbing the home. It's so big, it towers over all the trees.

The car stops right in-front of the home, and the guy driving-I should probably learn his name. It might be the last person I see- gets out. He then opens the door. Mother gets out, then me.

Is this where they're going to kill me? This is a trick. What the hell is going on.

So many thoughts in my head, that I can't seem to find the answer for anyone.

"Sir?" I ask "where are we?"

"Just off Fairfax avenue" he answers.

I exhale. I don't think he understood the question. I don't even know where Fairfax avenue is.

I'll rephrase "why are we here?"

"Oh" it looks like he can't quite comprehend what I'm asking "this is your new house."