Kabanata 33

KABANATA 33

Diovanni's POV

After a long journey, we finally arrived in America, and I made sure to get Dionne admitted to a top hospital. I was determined to improve her condition. American hospitals are known for their advancements in medical research and have the most modern treatments for her condition, including the necessary medication, cutting-edge technology, and healthcare equipment. All I wanted was for her to get better. I couldn't bear the thought of life without her.

"Daddy, where are we?" Dionne asked, her voice faint but curious.

"Princess, we're in the US now. You're going to stay in this hospital for a little while so the doctors can take care of you," I replied calmly but firmly.

"Why?" She asked, unaware of the severity of her condition.

"So you can get better. Just trust Daddy, okay? And don't worry, when you're feeling better, we'll go back home and play every day. I'll take you to Enchanted Kingdom and Disneyland again. Sound good?" I forced a smile, trying to give her hope.

Dionne's eyes lit up, and she gave a weak smile. "Yes, Daddy!"

"Now, promise me you'll do everything you can to get better, okay?"

"Promise, Daddy."

"Good girl. Now, try to get some rest." I kissed her forehead lovingly and stood up, my heart heavy with worry.

Seeing Dionne in this condition was an unmatched challenge. She had started her treatment in the Philippines, but due to a lack of blood for transfusions, her doctor recommended that we go to the US. It was crucial for her to continue her treatment without interruptions, especially since she needed an adequate supply of blood.

Rare is Dionne's AB blood type, making it difficult to find a suitable donor. I had no other choice but to bring her to the US, where the chances of finding a matching donor are higher.

Dionne's battle has become even more difficult in the past few days. The chemotherapy has taken a toll on her young body, and it breaks my heart to see her struggle with the treatment. Every day, tears fill her eyes as she pleads to go home, breaking my heart. If only I could bear her pain myself.

Each dose of medication feels like a weight on my chest. We see, helpless, as the vibrant child we know slowly fades away. Her hair falls out, her weight drops, she loses her appetite for food, play, and even conversation.

The doctors warned us about the severe side effects of the medication, but it does not ease our burden. When they found out about Dionne's worsening condition, Mama and Papa quickly flew to the US to be with her. They became regulars at the hospital, providing endless love and hope. Meanwhile, I draw strength from the hospital's chapel, pouring out my fears and wishes in prayers for Dionne's recovery.

I find myself sometimes questioning God in moments of hopelessness. Why does my child have to suffer? Is this a test, or punishment for my shortcomings? Why Dionne, when I am willing to trade places with her? But, despite my doubts, I cling to my faith, seeking comfort and strength.

"Diovanni, you need to eat. You haven't eaten since last night," Katarina pleads, placing a carefully prepared meal in front of me.

But my eyes are glued to the laptop, absorbed in work. I ignore her concern. "I'll eat later. This work can't wait."

Her worried voice cuts through my concentration. "Eat now. The work can wait, but your health can't," she insists, her tone a mix of concern and gentle reprimand.

I sigh heavily. "Just leave it there. I'll eat after I finish work," I say, with no other choice but to follow her.

Her almost inaudible sigh reaches my ears. "Dio, I don't want to interfere, but you need to take care of yourself. What if you get sick too? And Dionne—what will happen to her?" her voice quivers, full of sadness. It is followed by a suppressed sob. "I know you're planning to leave after all this. You're just waiting for Dionne to get better. So please, don't neglect your health by burying yourself in work to escape the pain of our current situation," she pleads, her words lingering before she leaves.