010

[TEN]

* . °•★𝓢𝓪𝔂𝓵𝓸𝓻☆•° . * 

ꜱᴀʏʟᴏʀ, ᴄᴀᴛᴄʜ!" Cole threw the football towards me and I caught it, throwing it to Parker in one smooth motion. Isaac leapt towards it, but failed to intercept. I found myself laughing at him as he hit the ground, and subtly flipped me off before leaping back to his feet again. I brushed a strand of my hair behind my ear. After a bit of contemplation, I had decided to keep it with the black dye because, honestly, the color had grown on me more than I expected. It had absolutely nothing to do with the words Isaac had spoken to me about it.

We were both pretending that whole interaction didn't happen, by the way. 

Though, after that particular massive fight, our arguments and fights changed slightly. We no longer screamed and spat at each as though the other had killed our dog. Instead, our arguments and fights were geared more towards causing annoyances and inconveniences. Don't get me wrong, we still absolutely hated each other, just our fights had progressed from screaming, physical fights to the occasional jab or retort. 

"Okay, take it easy. Hike!" Cole said, snapping me back to reality as he prepared to toss the ball towards Parker.

"Number 19 was having a heck of a day until rookie Isaac Garcia stepped off the bench." Lee said in his best announcer voice. Isaac started bouncing around, trying to block his cousin.

"You've gotta get open, P." I said, bouncing back and forth on the balls of my feet.

"Make him fake!"

Cole then threw the football at his sister, but Isaac jumped and caught the ball instead.

"And that's an interception! Isaac, she's nine." Cole said, rolling his eyes as Isaac and Lee high fived.

"Hey!" The five of us glanced up to see George standing on the porch. "Good hustle out there, but time to hit the showers, all right?"

I straightened my baseball hat as Lee, Isaac and I started off towards the house.

"So, Saylor. Are you going to go to the homecoming huddle?" Lee asked, coming up on my side.

"The what?"

"The homecoming huddle. It's like this celebration thing where we raise money for the school. There's a lot of things to do there, plus our school is hosting an auction."

"Sounds pretty cool." I shrugged. "Alright, I'll go then."

Isaac gave a comically annoyed sigh and I glanced at him. "What?"

"I am not mentally prepared to deal with you today." He said dramatically. I laughed, rolling my eyes.

"You're not ever mentally prepared to deal with me, Isaac." 

Instead of responding, he yanked my hat off my head and sprinted towards the house.

"ISAAC GARCIA!!!!" I shouted as I ran after him.

*. °•★•°. *

"So this is the homecoming huddle." I said, surveying the crowd of people.

"Pretty much." Isaac said, glancing at the stage for what seemed like the hundredth time today. I took a sip of my apple cider that I had bought from the stand Jackie and Alex were running. 

"What did you do, Isaac?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. He gave me a sweet smile and shrugged. 

"I don't know what you're talking about? Why don't you trust me?"

"Because you hate me." 

He shrugged, then laughed. "Valid."  

I rolled my eyes, punching his shoulder (not too lightly). He doubled over, clutching his shoulder and groaning in pain. Before I could tell him to shut up and act his age, someone climbed onto the stage and spoke into a microphone.

"And now, welcome to the annual charity karaoke contest! Any song can be selected, and all competitors must pay a fee of ten dollars per person. Thank you all for coming out to support the school and the theater! And thank you for all the people who already signed up!"

The crowd started clapping and cheering, and I saw a few people rush up towards the sign up sheet. When I glanced back at Isaac, he was looking at me with an evil grin on his face.

"No." I started shaking my head as I stepped away from him. "You didn't." 

"I think you're overdue for some public humiliation." He said, crossing his arms over his chest. I just barely managed to say, "Fuck you," under my breath before the person lifted the microphone and spoke into it again.

"Our first performer is Saylor Quinn-Howard!" 

"Every single day, I hate you a little bit more." I whispered under my breath as Isaac gave me a little shove towards the stage. I flipped him off, resisted the urge to kick him in the shins, and then marched off towards the stage. People around me started to clap, but right before I climbed on the stage, I tapped on the announcer's shoulder and pulled him down to my level, whispering something in his ear. He grinned, lifted the microphone, and spoke into it again.

"Saylor just informed me that another guest would like to join her today. Isaac Garcia!"

People applauded all around and I had just enough time to spot Isaac mouthing "What the fuck?" at me before he was stumbling forward, straightening his leather jacket, and climbing the stage next to me.

He waved towards the audience, and out of the corner of his mouth he whispered to me,

"As soon as we get home you're dead."

I just grinned as we were both handed microphones.

"Just out of curiosity, what song did you pick?" He asked. 

Then, after a few seconds of silence, the unmistakable guitar intro of Despacito started, and I looked at Isaac with a grin on my face. His eyes widened.

"You didn't. Seriously?" I nodded and he ran a hand through his hair. "Do you even speak Spanish?"

"Yeah. Yeah I do. And no one understands what we're saying anyway. Get ready to sing, Isaac." 

AN: THEY SING THE VERSION WITH JUSTIN BIEBER. SAYLOR SINGS JUSTIN AND LUIS'S PARTS AND ISAAC SINGS WHENEVER THERE ARE TWO PEOPLE AT ONCE AND DADDY YANKEE'S PARTS.

"Despacito." I sang the last note, letting it trail off. The people watching cheered and clapped, and I saw Jackie quickly shutting off her phone, which she must have been filming us with. I took a bow, and Isaac did the same, and together we stepped off the stage.

"So." I said, crossing my arms. "Did you enjoy your 'public humiliation'?" 

"Would have been better if you weren't so good at it." 

I laughed at his annoyed expression and then elbowed him in the ribs. 

"Honestly though, that was kinda fun."

"Yeah. I loved how you couldn't mess it up with your personality and comments and basically the whole—" he gestured at me, "—you."  

"And you ruined it." 

*. °•★•°. *