019

[NINETEEN]

* . °•★𝓢𝓪𝔂𝓵𝓸𝓻☆•° . * 

ɪ ᴡᴏᴋᴇ ᴜᴘ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇxᴛ ᴍᴏʀɴɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ʙɪɢɢᴇꜱᴛ ʜᴇᴀᴅᴀᴄʜᴇ ɪ ʜᴀᴅ ᴇᴠᴇʀ ʜᴀᴅ ɪɴ ᴍʏ ʟɪꜰᴇ. Groaning, I rolled out of bed, taking a moment to wince and try to ignore the pain. There was a bottle of water on the desk and I reached out and took a sip. It was then that I glanced down and saw that I was wearing Isaac's sweatshirt.

Why was I wearing Isaac's sweatshirt?

I tried to think back to the previous night, but the memories only came back in bits and pieces and soon I just gave up. After a few minutes of just standing there, regretting every choice I had ever made in my life, I stepped out of my room and headed downstairs. 

When I entered the kitchen, Katherine was there, scrubbing at the sink. She looked up, and a sympathetic grin spread across her face.

"Hey, Saylor. How's your head?"

"Don't ask." I laughed slightly as she slide a plate of food towards me. Gratefully, I started to eat. Once I finished, Katherine studied me. 

"Saylor, I need you to be honest with me. Did you drink last night?" 

I met her gaze, and then, after a moment, I nodded. She pinched her brow between her fingers as I finished eating, and then said under her breath,

"What is happening to this house?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, taking a sip of water. She looked at me. 

"I mean... last night, Alex punched Cole. Fighting over your sister." 

"WHAT?" I dropped the cup of water, almost spilling it. "Over Jackie?!

"Yes. I don't know what's going on. Saylor...go outside for a bit so I can think about what to do. The fresh air will be good for you." 

"Okay." I stood from my seat, sensing that Katherine was not in the best mood and I probably shouldn't push it. 

The cool air felt good against my face as I stepped outside into the morning air. Someone was riding horses in the corral, and out of curiosity, I walked over there to find Alex, clearly training. Two figures were on the side, watching him, and once I got over there, I saw it was Nathan and Isaac.

"Look who finally look up." Isaac smirked as I reached them, using my hand to shield my gaze from the sun. "How are you feeling?"

"Like shit." I replied, causing him and Nathan to laugh. I looked up at Alex, and noticed that his hand was bruised and swollen.

"So...Alex punched Cole last night?" I asked, watching him make a turn on his horse. 

"Yeah. Do you...do you not remember? Saylor, just how drunk were you?" Nathan said, giving  me a slightly concerned look. I shrugged and Isaac answered for me.

"I don't think even Cole's been that drunk before." 

"Shut up." I gave him a shove and he laughed. Then, I continued. "But no, I don't remember. Last night's kinda fuzzy to me." 

"What...uh...what do you remember?" Isaac asked. I thought for a moment, closing my eyes.

"Um...I remember getting there. Uh...Nathan, we tried to get you with Skylar but it didn't work...um...and I remember that we all went over to play Truth or Dare, but I don't remember what happened. But that's it." I glanced down at myself. "I also don't know why the hell I'm wearing your sweatshirt."

"So...you don't remember what happened when we got back to the house?" He pressed. I gave him a confused look. "No." 

He let out a sigh of relief at my words.

What? Why was he relieved? Why was he relieved?  

* . °•★𝓘𝓼𝓪𝓪𝓬☆•° . * 

She didn't remember. 

Thank god. 

I grinned slightly, looking down at my feet. Last night, in her drunken state, Saylor had asked me what I really thought of her. And for some reason, I told her. 

I told her the truth. 

But she didn't remember. 

"OW!" I exclaimed as she smacked me upside the head. 

"Dammit, Isaac! What happened back at the house?!" She asked, her blonde hair a mess. She really did look cute when she was angry. 

I shrugged, fixing my hair from where her hit had messed it up. "You tell me." 

She groaned in exasperation, dragging her hands down her face. "You're impossible."

"I know. I try." I said, flicking her on the arm. Just then, Uncle George walked out of the house and headed over to Alex and started talking with him, and I gestured for Nathan and Saylor to follow me.

"Come on, let's leave them alone. I have a feeling Alex is about to get yelled at." 

They followed me, and we headed out towards the barn loft. As Saylor came up beside me, I glanced at her, and then said,

"By the way, you're wearing my sweatshirt because someone threw up on you and something in your messed up brain thought it was logical to strip in forty degree weather around a bunch of strangers." 

Her face went white and her jaw dropped open.

"Please tell me you're joking." 

"Nope." 

She buried her face in her hands as we reached the barn and climbed up into the loft. Once we all reached it, Saylor looked around, an expression of mild wonder on her face.

"What is this place?" 

"You've never been inside of the loft before?" I asked, turning around. "Like, actually?" 

She shook her head. "No." 

I looked at Nathan, who shrugged, and then I gestured for her to come over to the tall post where all of us marked our heights at different ages. She peered up at it, interested. 

"Hey, Jackie's on here." 

I looked where she was pointing, and sure enough, in Alex's messy handwriting, was Jackie's name. I thought for a minute, and then grabbed a red marker.

"Then I guess the only right thing to do is to add you as well." 

Saylor gave me a look, but I gently pushed her towards the post until her back was pressed firmly against it. For a second, I paused, meeting her gaze.

And then I remembered that Nathan was standing right behind me and I mentally shook myself before uncapping the marker, measuring where her head met the wood and then drawing a line. 

"Damn, you're short." I chuckled and she glared at me as I wrote her name above the line. "There we go." 

I glanced down at her once last time before stepping back. She looked at her name, her finger tracing the line beneath it. 

"Wow." She laughed. "I'm the same height as you in seventh grade." 

"Like I said. Short." 

* . °•★•° . * 

A/N: 

Hey, guys! I know this was kinda a boring chapter. I want to add one more happy chapter before more drama, but I'm a little short on ideas. If you guys have any let me know!