016

[SIXTEEN]

* . °•★𝓢𝓪𝔂𝓵𝓸𝓻☆•° . * 

ɪ ꜱᴛᴏᴏᴅ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴏʀᴄʜ, ᴡᴀᴠɪɴɢ ɢᴏᴏᴅʙʏᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴍʏ ᴜɴᴄʟᴇ ᴀꜱ ʜᴇ ᴅʀᴏᴠᴇ ᴀᴡᴀʏ. In the end, Jackie and I had opted to stay here in Colorado instead of moving back home to New York, and I was more than a little relieved about this. As much as I missed New York, there was nothing left for me there. 

I mean, what would I even go back to? My friends that I had shut out? Surfing until I ended up in the hospital? Not being able to go anywhere without being reminded of what I had lost? No. I couldn't face any of that. I couldn't go back. 

I could feel the memories tugging at my conscious, begging to be thought about, to be remembered, but I clenched my jaw tight and refused, as I always did. However, in my attempt to refuse to relive the accident, another memory resurfaced. 

"Saylor, repressing these feelings isn't healthy. You can't keep pretending everything's okay  when it isn't. I know it hurts, but—"

"YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING!" I shouted at the counselor. My fists were clenched tightly in my lap, nails cutting into the palms of my hands. "You don't know what I'm going through—"

"Saylor—"

"NO! You don't get it! You don't get what I saw, what I had to go through, what I have to live with every second of every day! The only way it gets better is if I pretend it didn't happen!" 

"But it's not good for you! Saylor, the weight of what you're carrying, of what happened...the way you're coping isn't good. Your uncle told me that you pulled your stitches again. You're not supposed to be doing things like this. Maybe you could seek alternative methods...such as writing music or a book or just talk—"

"I'm done here." I rose to my feet, grabbing my backpack and storming towards the door. 

"We're not done—"

"Yes we are." 

The door slammed behind me. 

Just then I felt someone bump my shoulder, snapping me out of my memories and I glanced sideways to see Isaac beside me. 

"Hey." I said, smiling slightly, forcing the ghosts of the reminiscence to fade. He returned the smile, and then glanced out after the departing car.

"I'm assuming you're staying, then?" 

I rolled my eyes and lightly punched his arm. "No. He's just taking the car for a spin around the neighborhood and then he's picking me up." 

Isaac laughed at my sarcasm. "You know...I'm glad you're staying, Saylor." 

I raised an eyebrow. "Really."

"Yeah." 

"Last week you would have literally paid my uncle to take me back to New York. What changed?" I laughed. Isaac gave me another grin before saying,

"I don't know. I guess you kinda grew on me...like a fungus."

"Hey!" I smacked his arm. "Rude!" 

"Owwww." Isaac massaged his arm with his other hand before meeting my gaze again. I was staring off into the distance a little, and he bumped his arm against mine.

"You okay?" 

I shook myself and looked at him. "Never better. Let's go inside." I turned to walk towards the house, but he didn't move. Turning around, I saw him, still watching me, looking lost in thought. A little confused, I walked back towards him. 

"What?" 

"Saylor..." He said, his brown eyes peering into my blue ones. The wind whipped my hair around my face, and Isaac reached out tentatively, tucking part of it behind my ear. His fingers lingered slightly on my jawbone and I felt my heart skip a beat. Oh my god. 

His gaze flicked down to my lips for less than a millisecond before refocusing on my eyes. I felt my pulse pounding faster and faster until I could literally hear it in my ears. We were so close to each other. So ridiculously close. Was he going to kiss me? 

Did I want him to? 

I think...

I think I did. 

My lips parted slightly as I watched him. His hand was still on my face, and he tilted my chin up slightly, towards him. 

"Isaac..." I started to say. 

Just then, the door to the house flew open with a bang and Alex and Nathan ran out, arguing about something related to horses. Isaac and I jumped apart, and Alex trailed off when he saw the two of us.

"Oh. Hi guys. What are you doing?" 

"Um." I searched my brain for a response but Isaac just shrugged before saying, 

"She was just telling me that she's staying. Obviously." 

Alex nodded, grinning, as he and Nathan continued their walk to the barn. "We're all really happy you and Jackie are staying!" He called over his shoulder before they went inside. I turned back to Isaac, but he had already disappeared, leaving me on the porch, a tangle of confusion and emotions. 

What had just happened?  

*. °•★•°. *

A/N:

Sorry that this one's a little short! The next chapter should be a bit longer, and I'm really excited for you guys to read it! Also 4.8K views!? You guys are amazing! Thank you so much! 

ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴀᴅ | ɪ.ɢOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara