8: Goodbyes aren't always forever

Y/N POV:

Finishing up my project in the scrapyard I stepped back and admired my handiwork. It had taken me all night but it was worth it, and all that was left was to wake up Bolt and show him. My tail wagging like nuts I ran toward him and Rhino, seeing they were both fast asleep I woke him up.

"Hey! Hey Bolt, wake up!" I smiled, as he drearily opened his eyes. "Bolt, come with me I have a surprise for you," I smiled as I led him in the direction of the scrapyard.

"Okay, okay. No peeking. All right, now, open them," I said sitting down in front of it. Bolt opened his eyes, and I chuckled.

"Bask in the glow, baby," I smiled, walking toward the two boxes I'd put up like mini houses for each of us.

"I..." Bolt hesitated.

"Just let me give you the grand tour. Okay?" I asked, as I approached them both.

"This one, this one's mine, and this one is all yours." I said as I first walked past the first box and then approached the bigger one, and smiled at him, my tail still wagging.

"Y/N, I..." Bolt tried talking again, until I remembered something and just had to tell him.

"I found this really soft pillow thing for you. And get this! I found some styrofoam, and I stuffed it inside. Which I thought was both kind of creative and ironic. You know what I mean?" I asked.

"Y/N, I don't think that..."

"Ooh! Ooh! Check it out!" I said as I kicked away a stick holding up a flap to the box. "Total privacy, and completely soundproof. And on nights when it gets too cold we can both huddle together in one of them!" I added, my voice probably sounding slightly muffled.

"Yeah, well, I don't think that I..." Bolt tried again, until I cut him off once more.

"Okay, I lied. It's not soundproof, but you know-" This time he cut me off.

"Y/N, I can't stay here." That silenced me for a few good seconds, until I left the inside of the box.

"What?" I questioned, my tail had stopped its wagging.

"We're one waffle away from Penny." he explained.

"You're still going back to her?" I asked, my voice breaking slightly. He gave me a sad look.

"Y/N, she's my person," he explained. I furrowed my brows and grabbed him by the ear to pull him in the direction of the signboard I'd seen last night while making the surprise.

"Ow! Ow! Ow! Ear, ear!" he said as I let his ear go and I leapt up onto the signboard.

"Look at me, Bolt. I'm real." I said, before turning to the board. "Now how about this? Is that real?" I leapt further up onto the message board and stood next to the man with the green eye. "Does this look real to you? Or that? Is that real? Or that?" Then I walked over to the girl who must've been Penny. "How about that, Bolt? She's an actress. She's just pretending," I said.

"Not Penny," he denied.

"There is no Penny. She's fake," I told him.

"No, you're wrong. She loves me," Bolt claimed. He had no idea, so did I. Tears were now brimming my eyes as I got off the signboard.

"Yeah, well so do I okay. I love you too. And I don't want to lose someone I love again," I said, my ears drooping for real. Bolt walked toward me.

"I... I'm sorry Y/N, but Penny is different," Bolt told me.

"Then go," I told him, looking away.

"Y/N, I-" I cut him off.

"Bolt! Get out of here. I don't want to live with someone who only considered me second," I said. " I never should've taken pity on you," I muttered.

"Y/N-" he tried.

"Just get out of here Bolt!" I yelled. He hung his head low and started to leave.

"You take care, Y/N," he said, as I shut my eyes, I couldn't bear to watch him leave. But turned around and saw him slinking out of the scrapyard.

Bolt POV:

I couldn't help but look back at Y/N. She loved me? She had no idea that I also did. My ears drooped down by themselves this time. I was sad to leave Y/N but I knew Penny was waiting for me. So I was really left with no choice. Approaching a gas station I jumped on the back of a car's trailer, I lay down on an armchair in the trailer, I put my head on my paws. Feeling sad and slightly abandoned. I tried sleeping through this car ride.

Y/N POV:

Much later on in the evening I was sitting in front of a garbage can lid, which was half filled with food and half empty. But for once I wasn't feeling hungry, as I pushed away the lid with my paw. Then I heard Rhino yawn.

"That meat lover's pizza is not loving me back at all," he said rolling toward me.

"Hey there Rhino," I smiled sadly.

"Morning, dog," he yawned again. "Where's Bolt?"

"He's uh..." I hesitated."He's gone," I said.

"Bolt left?" the hamster asked.

"Yeah, but he instructed me to tell you that he uh... had to face the green-eyed man alone," I lied. Rhino looked at me uneasily before he turned around and started to leave me as well.

"Wha-where are you going?" I asked.

"To Bolt," he simply replied.

"But he doesn't need us anymore," I explained.

"Trust me, I've seen it a million times before. In the cold, dark night before the battle, when the steely fangs of evil are sharpened and poised to strike, the hero must go and face his greatest challenge alone. But if Bolt's taught me anything, it's that you never abandon a friend in a time of need. When your teammate's in trouble, you go. Whether they ask you or not, you go, not knowing if you're coming back dead or alive-" he said, going in the wrong direction.

"He went the other way," I called out to him.

"YOU GO! KNOWING HOW DEEP THE SHRAPNEL'S GOING TO PIERCE YOUR HIDE, YOU GO!" he cried out to me. I wasn't always easily swayed, but dang if the little hamster didn't sway my emotions.

"Wait!" I yelled.

"What?" he asked, turning around.

"I'm coming with you," I said, running up next to him.

"So you aren't evil?" he asked.

"No! Now come on, let's go!" I yelled as we ran out of the alleys and toward the main road.