𝟏𝟕 | 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐮𝐧𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐈𝐧 𝐇𝐢𝐬 𝐄𝐲𝐞𝐬

❝ 𝚃𝚑𝚎𝚢 𝚠𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚌𝚑𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚞𝚛𝚜𝚎𝚛𝚢 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚑𝚊𝚍 𝚒𝚝 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚋𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚕𝚒𝚝𝚝𝚕𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚜 𝚠𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚠𝚊𝚝𝚌𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚖

❝ 𝚃𝚑𝚎𝚢 𝚠𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚌𝚑𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚞𝚛𝚜𝚎𝚛𝚢 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚑𝚊𝚍 𝚒𝚝 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚋𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚕𝚒𝚝𝚝𝚕𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚜 𝚠𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚠𝚊𝚝𝚌𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚖. 𝙾𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝚊𝚐𝚊𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚜 𝚋𝚕𝚎𝚠 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚗𝚍𝚘𝚠 𝚘𝚙𝚎𝚗, 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚜𝚖𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛 𝚘𝚏 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚌𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚎𝚍 𝚘𝚞𝚝:
“𝙲𝚊𝚟𝚎, 𝙿𝚎𝚝𝚎𝚛!” ❞
- 𝐏𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐏𝐚𝐧, 𝐉.𝐌 𝐁𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐞.

─────────〔❨✧✧❩〕─────────

Getting to the fourth floor wasn't as hard as Hae-Rin thought it would be.

The two, Hae-Rin and Hyun-Su, kept strictly to the stairs and avoided every open door. The closed doors, though, they paid them little to no attention. Their goal was to get past the closed door before a monster could hear them, so they focused in front of them, watching their feet and controlling their breathing.

Hae-Rin held her weapon tightly in her hands. She was glad that she didn't bring her backpack like last time because it was just dead weight on her back and nothing else. She did, however, forget to bring her pepper spray and her pocket knife. Hae-Rin wasn't so sure what good a pepper stray or a small blade would do, but if her weapon were to leave her hands, she'd at least have something small to protect herself with.

Next time, she thought to herself. It's not like this is the last time Eun-Hyuk's going to send Hyun-Su on a mission.

When they arrived on the fourth floor, Hae-Rin and Hyun-Su, they wordlessly started to look for loose wood, metal or anything else that they could bring back down.

Unfortunately, none of them brought a backpack for that.

"Shit." Cursed Hae-Rin.

"What?" Asked Hyun-Su, stopping next to her.

"We didn't bring a backpack." Hae-Rin said, sighing. She then looked around for any open apartments and nodded when she saw one. "Stealing it is."

"What? No." Hyun-Su said, shaking his head.

"Do you plan on going back and forth a few times to bring everything down?" Hae-Rin asked him.

"No." Hyun-Su mumbled.

"Then push that kind heart of yours away and help me find a backpack or something." Hae-Rin said, walking towards the open apartment on the far left.

Hyun-Su sighed but trailed behind her.

Hae-Rin searched the apartment as quickly as possible, feeling as guilty as Hyun-Su for stealing. But then again, it wasn't like the person who lived there would care. The world was ending, and one backpack missing wasn't much. And anyway, would that person even return to this apartment? Were they even alive?