Reunited on the field

Prompts: "If there is nothing going on between you two, you don't mind if I ask them on a date, do you?" & "I think I'm in love with you, and that scares the crap out of me."

~

Since you left college you have played in the United States of America for both club and country. Your transfer to Arsenal was going to be a big change for you with the move to a different continent but you were excited for this opportunity. Luckily there were some familiar faces on the team that you knew would take you under their wing. Both Lotte and Alessia had been your teammates at college, you stayed in contact with most of the Tar Heels girls over the years, and were excited to be sharing the field with them once again.

Your assumption of your UNC teammates taking you under their wing couldn't have been more true. You fell back into the close friendship you had with the both of them almost immediately. They showed you around London, introduced you to the rest of the team, and made sure you felt at home at Arsenal. The first month at your new club consisted primarily of training. You were getting to know the team that had welcomed you with open arms better and better. The team had taken you in as their own right away.

Today was another day of training, and you were running drills with a couple of the girls while the rest was still stretching. Unbeknownst to you Lotte was questioning Alessia on the other side of the field, "So, Lessi, how's the crush on y/n going?" Alessia shoved her friend's shoulder, "Come one, Lotte, how many times do I have to tell you that I don't have a crush on her anymore?" Lotte laughed, and ran off to join in on the drills.

A few days later you're at the gym, getting a workout in with the team. You're about to bench press and look around for someone to spot you, when you see Alessia had just finished one of her own sets. "Hey Less, could you spot me real quick?" The blond moves your way, "Wait, are you going for a new PR?" Alessia says checking out the weights you put on the bar. "Yes, I am, trying for one at least." She gets ready by standing behind the bench, while you lay down, mentally preparing yourself. "Come on, you've got this." Alessia encourages you, as you reach for the bar and lower it. You start lifting the bar, pushing with all the strength that you've got. "Almost, come on. Push, you've got it." Her words push you along, and you're able to do the full lift. Alessia helps you put the weight back on the rack. You jump up and give her a hug, "Thank you Less, couldn't have done it without you!" With a kick peck to her cheek, you walk off to tell the trainers about your new PR, leaving Alessia frozen in place.

"Oi, what's wrong with Russo?" Katie asks Lotte who is actively laughing at Alessia's reaction. "She has had the biggest crush on y/l/n since college and they just kissed her cheek." Katie smirks at this new information. "And she never acted on it?" Lotte shakes her head. "She claims she hasn't had a crush on them since she left college but you saw her reaction, proving she's lying." The girls both laugh.

Katie decides to join Lotte in teasing Alessia about her crush and walks up to her teammate. "Hey, Russo, a little birdy told me you have a little crush on our newbie." Alessia sends Lotte a quick glare, who just smiles back. "Not you too Macca, I do not have a crush on them." The striker did not like the smile that appeared on Katie's face. "If there is nothing going on between you two, you don't mind if I ask them on a date, do you?" Alessia's eyes widened, "Don't you dare." Katie laughs, "Cool, point proven. You've got to tell y/n, Russo, what do you have to lose?" You pop up beside them, "Tell me what?" Alessia's face turns a dark shade of red, while Katie and Lotte break out in laughter. You're a bit confused by the laughter but you decide to put your focus on Alessia. You take her hand and lead her out of the gym, away from the laughing that seemed to make her more uncomfortable.

"What's going on, Less? Is everything alright?" You ask once you have made your way outside. She was quiet for a moment, before she just started rambling. "I like you, y/n. Like not as friends, though I like you as a friend too of course. I like you for real, and I have since college. I've had a crush on you for the longest time and I know that is stupid because we've been apart for a couple of years but I still do. And Katie just joked about asking you out, I think she was joking but I know that I need to share this with you because someone will come and make you fall in love with them and then I will lose my shot." She takes a deep breath before continuing, not leaving room for you to respond just yet. "Actually, to be totally honest, I think I'm in love with you, and that scares the crap out of me. You are such a good friend, and we are teammates of course. I don't want to lose the connection that we have, and.." That's when you put your hands on her shoulders and stop her. "Hey Less, look at me, please." Her eyes nervously meet yours. She was met with eyes filled with adoration. "I feel the same way. I had a crush on you in college, and I thought that I had moved on from it when we graduated but none of my relationships ever felt right. It didn't click until I saw you here on my first day at Arsenal, I have been in love with you since our college years too, Less."

Alessia's smile grew wider the longer you spoke, until finally you were done with your sentence and she crashed her lips onto yours. It was an eager kiss at first, both having wanted to kiss the other for such a long time but the kiss quickly turned softer, wanting this long awaited moment last. When you pulled away from the kiss, cheers and whistles were heard from the entrance of the gym, you looked over your shoulder to see a group of Arsenal girls had formed in front of the door. You roll your eyes at them, before taking Alessia's hand and heading back to the gym. The girls started patting the both of you on the back, "Seriously?" You laugh at their antics.

During the rest of your gym session you keep letting your eyes trail over to Alessia, smiling when your eyes meet hers. Your cheeks warm at the thought of her lips on yours, luckily your cheeks were already red from training, otherwise the team would for sure tease you for it. Not that you would really mind the teasing though, you were just happy to finally have your feelings for Alessia out in the open and reciprocated, and couldn't wait to get out of training.