The unexpected gift

Summary: Meeting Alessia at a bar while she's out celebrating her birthday.

~

You were looking around the busy bar, trying to find the friends you had arrived with. Only one of them was still sharing the table with you. "Have you seen the rest?" Emma shakes her head, "I saw Lexi leaving with some guy like fifteen minutes ago, and the last time I saw Mandy, she was making out with a girl on the dance floor." You laugh, "Maybe we should go and find some people too." You see your friend looking over your shoulder, "I think I found just the right person." Her face lights up, so you look over your shoulder to see who she's looking at. You immediately knew who she was talking about, "Em she's totally your type. You should go for it!" You encourage her. "You'll be alright on your own?" You've probably never nodded faster in your life, "Go shoot your shot!"

Now it was just you. First, another drink, you thought as you got up and headed to the bar. You had never been one to just step up to a girl and shoot your shot, so you were going to need some more liquid courage. What you hadn't expected was for a girl to literally fall into your arms.

You quickly react and catch her before she falls down completely. "Oh my god, I am so sorry." The girl starts apologising profusely, her words barely registering as you're immediately lost in her piercing blue eyes. "It's okay, but you could've just said hi, you know?" The girl visibly relaxes at your joke. "Hi." She says with a big smile on your face. You went from being mesmerised by her eyes to being mesmerised by her smile. The girl was absolutely stunning, and you thanked the universe that you were the one she fell into. "Hey," you send her a smile back, "what brings you out tonight?"

"I'm actually here celebrating my birthday with some of my friends. What about you?" At that the girl in front of you seemed to remember that it wasn't just the two of you in the room. "That's so fun, happy birthday! I'm here with a couple of friends too, except they all left to go make out with strangers." You joke.

Before the blonde could respond, a hand fell onto her shoulder, "Oi Lessi, what's taking so long?" Lessi, you smile now knowing her name. She nudges her head your way, hoping that her friend would leave her alone. "Oh, I see." She says with a smirk, as she sees her friend's cheeks flush. The girl looks your way. "What are you drinking?" You give her your drink of choice and thank her before continuing your conversation, "So, Lessi is it?" She holds out her hand, "Alessia actually." You shake her hand, "Y/n." You realise you hadn't let go of her hand yet, so you slowly retract it. "You should join me and my friends." She said with a smile you couldn't say no to even if you wanted to. So, when Alessia's friend presses a drink into your hands, you find yourself following the two to the other side of the bar.

"Sorry for the wait, but don't fear Katie is here with the drinks! Also, this is y/n, she'll be joining us." You wave to the group as a bunch of hello's are thrown your way. Since the group was large enough to entertain themselves, Alessia guided you over to a free spot at the table, so you could continue your conversation. "You've got quite the group of people here with you." You comment, looking out over the twenty something girls surrounding you. "Oh yes, I play football, and these are all my teammates. Since we're such a big group when we all go somewhere, I like to just invite them out instead of having to host this many people at home."

She tells you all about football, and her experience playing in the euro's after you asked for it. You found it adorable that she was so passionate about her sport. You hadn't even realised an hour had gone by since you had sat down, until one of her friends stood in front of you. "Less, come on, we want to go to the next bar." The girl was looking at her expectantly, and looked to be very excited for their next step of the night. "You promised us karaoke, now let's go." Alessia looks between the two of you, "Okay Beth, calm down. We'll go to the karaoke bar, tell the girls to get ready, and I'll be right there."

Once Beth turns around you hear her loudly announce to the group that you're going to the next bar, you smile at her enthusiasm showing so clearly. "She's really into karaoke, huh?" Alessia laughs, "I think she just enjoys watching everyone embarrass themselves, honestly. Would you want to come with us? I don't want our time to end yet." You loved the idea of spending more time with Alessia, so you agreed. "I'm not singing though."

You quickly text your friends where you're going as you were grabbing your coat, before you join Alessia's friends outside. Alessia wasn't there yet, so you make small talk with Lia, Vic, and Leah. A few minutes later you saw Alessia approaching, but before she reached you, she tripped over her own feet. Luckily Leah was quick to catch her this time. "That twice now, seems like you really needed some fresh air." You laugh. "Trust me it's not just the alcohol, she's naturally clumsy." Vic says, earning herself a playful shove from Alessia.

The karaoke bar was busy, so it took a while before any of the girls got to sing, but the atmosphere in the bar was great. You were dancing and singing along to the music along with the rest of the girls.

Beth, Jen, and Steph, were the first ones up on the stage, performing their rendition of ABBA's Dancing Queen, they fully let go and belted the lyrics to the audience, and they sang it back just as loud.

As the night went on, you found yourself getting closer and closer to Alessia. Until eventually, her arms were around your waist, while you were swinging to the music together.

You didn't want the night to end, but the bar was slowly emptying out, and you knew it was going to close soon. "Alright, last song everybody. This is Sweet Caroline performed by the Arsenal Women's team." The DJ announced. The girls made their way to the stage, and before you had time to resist, you got dragged along with them.

Blending into the group, you let go and sing along with the words to the song.

Hands, touching hands

Reaching out, touching me, touching you

Sweet Caroline pam pam pam

Good times never seemed so good

You had to admit that that was a lot of fun.

Once everyone was out of the bar, Alessia took you aside, trying to get away from the loudness of her friends. "I had a lot of fun tonight, thank you for inviting me to join your birthday celebration." Her smile grows, "Of course, I am so glad that I did. Thank you for a great night. Actually I was wondering if I could see you again sometime, like take you out on a date." She started fiddling with the rings on her fingers, suddenly becoming nervous. So, you take her hand in yours, "I would love to." Her nerves faded away just as quickly as they had appeared. "Yeah? That's great. Let me get your number." You put your numbers in each other's phones.

"Thanks again for a great night." Alessia said, taking your hand in hers again. "Likewise, birthday girl." You're about to move back to the rest of the group when you get an idea, and turn to Alessia again. "I haven't given you a birthday gift yet." Alessia laughs, "I mean I didn't really give you any notice." You smile at her quick joke. "That's okay, I'm great at improvising." You take a step closer to her, and lean in to kiss her.

Her lips are soft on yours, and you taste the sweetness of the cocktails she's been drinking on them. You break the kiss with flushed cheeks from the wolf whistles and cheers coming from the group behind you. So, you lean in to whisper into her ear, "Happy birthday."

Your house was only a couple blocks away, but Alessia insisted on you joining her in her Uber, making the driver take an extra stop. "Text me when you get home?" You ask as you get out, and she nods, "I will."

When she was alone in the Uber, Alessia starts reminiscing on her birthday. She had a great time with her teammates, and got a lot of great presents. Thought, the unexpected gift of meeting you, was her favourite gift of all.