001. flowers

001. flowers

˚ · • . °

422 | THE LITTLE PALACE, OS ALTA, RAVKA

The warm water submerges Anastasia's body, offering her a relaxing moment after a particularly long day. Hours spent fixing up some younger Grisha in the infirmary because they decided to use their powers in Botkin's class. Listening to the children argue about how they did nothing wrong was quite exhausting. But nothing was as relaxing as a hot bath before bed.

Actually, Anastasia could think of some better things.

Her head rested against the wall of the copper tub, eyes closed and heart calm. She was so immersed in her world that she didn't know anyone was there until she felt someone place a kiss on the top of her head.

Anastasia opened her eyes, looking up to see Aleksander smiling down at her. "Evening, moya milaya," he kissed her bare shoulder softly. "How was your day?"

Anastasia sighed, "Exhausting. Some young Squallers decided to use their powers during Botkin's class today. Caused some broken bones," she complained with a huff.

Aleksander just hummed in response, holding out his hands for Anastasia. "I'm sure Botkin had a field day."

"He made them run five laps around the grounds." She smiled, grabbing his hands to help herself up. She stepped out of the tub and reached for her robe, wrapping it around her body. "And you? Anything you need to get out of your system?"

"Not necessarily, but the meeting with the King went on for far too long today." His hands came up to his leather tunic, beginning to undo the buckles. "I'm having to send more and more soldiers to the front lines every day, all because the King is a child and refuses to acknowledge that people are dying everyday."

Anastasia bit her lip, walking into their bedroom, Aleksander trailing behind like an obedient dog. "In my honest opinion, war is a stupid concept. What situation needs to escalate so much that thousands of people need to die?" She asks mostly to herself. "Just talk it out as civilized adults, not like spoiled children." She walked over to the wardrobe before adding, "No offense."

"None taken. You make valid points, moya lyubov, but it isn't that simple, you know that. But I admire your boldness, saying that in front of your General."

Anastasia cocked her head to the side, "I figured we were equals by now, General." She teased, drying herself off with the robe before slipping on a nightgown.

"Equals, yes," Aleksander replied, discarding his tunic into the hamper. "But, you are still my soldier."

Rolling her eyes, a small smile curled on Anastasia's lips. "And yet, you fell in love with me."

"That," Aleksander takes a step closer to Anastasia, kissing her softly, "is true."

"Good."

˚ · • . °

"Ms. Valtheos?" A young boy, Vladimir, approached Anastasia after her class one day, his hands behind his back nervously.

Anastasia looked up, pausing as she was organizing students' papers, "Yes?" She questioned, a curious look on her face.

"Well, I was wondering, if you could teach me that healing technique you used on Mila last week?" The young boy's eyes gleamed with anticipation.

Anastasia smiled warmly, "Of course, Vladimir, I would be happy to help."

˚ · • . °

The classroom was lit with windows and skylights, offering the perfect amount of light for the students to work. Glancing over at the back door, Anastasia saw a familiar black figure. She tried to ignore it. "All right, that is all. Please read pages 110 to 112 for homework tonight, we will be using that information tomorrow. You're dismissed." She said, watching as the children closed their textbooks and began to file out the door. Once the last child was gone, she spoke, "General. To what do I owe this pleasure?"

Aleksander, who was leaning against the wall, stepped forward, walking towards her desk. "Your dedication is admirable. Not many can handle children all too well." He spoke with a hint of sarcasm in his tone.

"Well, I happen to like children. It's the toddler phase that I do not enjoy." She picked up an eraser, erasing something off of the blackboard.

"Yes, well, toddlers do have a habit of speaking the truth." Aleksander replied, his hands clasped behind his back while gazing lovingly at Anastasia.

"Yes, they do," Anastasia smiled slightly, looking over at the open door. She walked over to it and closed it. "Though, that is not why you are here, is it?" Her head cocked to the side slightly.

Aleksander hummed, pulling out a small bouquet of Buttercup flowers from behind his back and held them out with a smirk. "For you, moya milaya."

Anastasia heart seemed to flutter momentarily, "Thank you," she reached out, grabbing the flowers and walking over to the windowsill, where a vase of hyacinths from last week sat. She pulled out the hyacinths, cutting off a small amount of the stems of the buttercups before putting them in the vase. "People are going to start to notice the new flowers each week."

"Let them notice."

"The children are smarter than you think, they'll start to ask questions, trust me."

"Well, then they should all know that their general is head over heels for his soldier."

"And how do you think the King will take that? He hates us enough as it is."

"He'll have no choice but to accept it."

Anastasia hummed, walking back over to her desk and sitting down in the chair, adjusting a few small trinkets that sat on it. "When are you leaving next?"

The Darkling wasn't often at the Little Palace. He would be at the Fjerdan or Shu borders at the frontlines, or at different army encampments, making sure everything is going smoothly. It was rare for Aleksander to have time to relax.

"A few weeks, I'll be going to the Fjerdan frontlines this time, near Chernast. I'll be gone for a few months, four at most. But you have me all to yourself until then." Aleksander explained, a tinge of sadness in his voice.

Anastasia smiled, "And what do you say we should do during that time?"

A smirk curled up on Aleksander's lips, "I can think of a few things."

"Oh? Well, I'm open to suggestions. So, what do you have in mind?"

˚ · • . °

word count: 1,043