012. molded fates

012. molded fates

˚ · • . ° .

440 | THE LITTLE PALACE, OS ALTA, RAVKA

He pressed his back to the door, his throat constricting, leaving him practically gasping for air. The world around him slowed as his heart pounded, sounding like a drumbeat. He squeezed his eyes shut, attempting to drown out the world. "Fuck," he muttered to himself.

His hands trembled violently. Luke's past had always haunted him. His mother's death and his sister's disappearance had left deep scars on his soul. He often found himself lost in the memories of happier times. As he stood against the door, he could hear the echo of his sister's laughter, and it was a bittersweet torment.

Luke faintly heard someone's voice calling his name. It was unrecognizable until he opened his eyes. Ivan. He felt his air rush to his lungs, and his mind began to calm. Arms wrap around him, and he tenses. Luke pulls away, "Don't. Please."

Ivan obeys, kneeling in front of Lukas. "It's all right, it's all right." He says quietly, using his powers to calm the boy's heart rate and push air into his lungs. "You're having a panic attack. Breathe."

Luke closes his eyes, leaning his head against the door. "I'm fucking trying," he exasperates, his breathing heavily. "It's so loud. It's so loud." He whispers, clamping his hands over his ears.

He can hear everything. Every animal within a mile. It's too much. His head feels like it's exploding. Ivan continues to slow the boy's heart to an average pace. More footsteps. Oddly familiar ones. And commanding. "What's happening?"

"He's having a panic attack, moi soverenyi," Ivan explains, looking back at his General.

Aleksander kneels in front of his son, looking at him slightly concernedly. "Can I touch you?" He asks calmly, his hand hovering over Luke's knee. Luke shakes his head. "OK, OK. I won't," he pauses, "Can you tell me what's going on?" His voice is oddly tender.

"It's too loud," Lukas whispers, burying his face between his knees.