002. revelations

002. revelations

˚ · • . ° .

422 | THE LITTLE PALACE, OS ALTA, RAVKA

The week before Aleksander left for the Fjerdan front was extremely eventful. When Anastasia did not have morning classes to teach, she would stay comfortable in bed, wrapped up in the silk sheets of Aleksander's bed. On other days, she would help out in the infirmary, healing small cuts and bruises from Botkin's combat training.

But right now, she was hunched over in the washroom, emptying the contents of her stomach. Katya stood beside her, holding her hair back and rubbing her back soothingly. "Saints," Anastasia groaned, standing up. Wetting a washcloth, she wiped her mouth clean and chugged a glass of water to get the taste out of her mouth.

"Should we go down to the infirmary?" Katya questioned.

"No, no, I'll be alright. It was probably just something I ate."

Katya tilted her head, "Ana, I don't think it's something you ate."

Anastasia raised an eyebrow, "What are you insinuating?"

"When was the last time you bled?"

Anastasia pondered for a moment, "...last month, why?" Then a chuckle escaped her lips, "Katya, I'm not, I'm not pregnant."

"Oh, please, all the symptoms are there. Mood swings, increased appetite and morning sickness. The least we can do is just confirm it. Just to make sure."

˚ · • . ° .

"Sasha?" Anastasia asked tentatively, stepping into his study. Her arms were crossed over herself, dressed in a simple nightgown.

Aleksander didn't look up from the papers he was studying, "Yes?"

"Can we...can we talk? It's important." Her voice was timid, as if she were a scared animal.

At those words, Aleksander looked up, his expression softening as he took in the way that Anastasia was standing. "Of course, lapushka. What is it?"

Anastasia pinched the bridge of her nose, swallowing the lump in her throat. "I don't, I don't exactly know how to say this."

Aleksander stood up, reaching for her hands to cradle. "It's all right, take your time. Take your time."