005. friendships over rats

˚ · •

˚ · • . ° .

005. friendships over rats

˚ · • . ° .

433 | THE LITTLE PALACE, OS ALTA RAVKA

"Hello, little one," Lukas said softly, crouched down by the flower bed, the knees of his trousers just barely sitting in the dirt. He stared down at the black rat, its tail caught in a trap. Luke rolled up the sleeves of his kefta, making a subtle movement of his hands and the rat ceased its struggling.

"Poor thing, let me help you," he murmured, his hands cautiously approaching the rat. He knew he had to be careful, Saints forbid he accidentally catches rabies.

"What are you doing?" A high-pitched, cheery voice asked from behind him.
Luke startled, jumping slightly as he looked back. Standing behind him was a girl around his age with brown hair and eyes and wearing a red kefta, though not yet embroidered with the color of her specialty — as Grisha wore plain kefta's until they were twelve.

"I'm, uh," Luke stammered, glancing back at the rodent for a moment, "I'm helping a rat. She's stuck."

"Would you like some help?" The girl asked, a wide smile on her face.

Luke's lips curled up slightly, "Yeah, yeah, thank you. Just uh, can you try and lift the bar."

The girl nodded, crouching down and struggling for a moment before the bar of the trap lifted, freeing the rat.

The rat squeaked, quickly scrambling away from the trap. Luke was quick to catch it, picking it up with one hand and cradling it to his chest. He made another motion with his hand, hovering it along the rodent's tail. "There you go, good as new," he said softly, gently setting the rat back down on the ground and watching it run away.

Luke looked back towards the girl, giving her a smile. "Thank you," he stuck out his hand, "I'm Lukas."

The girl looked at his hand for a moment, shrugged to herself then took it. "I'm Irina. And we should probably wash our hands."

Lukas blinked, "Oh, right," he let go of her hand. He stood back up, walking back into the building. The girl, Irina, followed him as he pushed open a cracked door, entering one of the Corporalki classrooms that was used to train children before they chose whether to be a Heartrender or a Healer.

"Hi," Luke said upon entering, greeting the Healer that was watering a few plants, "just washing my hands." He walked over to the sinks in the back, turning on the taps and running his hand beneath the water.