Chapter 13 - The Sixth Victory

Another three years had passed. The now twenty-two year old Terran Dean stood atop a hill that overlooked a grassy field. In the distance was a castled city with walls that looked like they were in desperate need of repair.

"It will work." Terran's golden eyes were locked onto the place where the sky met the earth, "Have a little faith."

Terran was speaking to another red-haired, golden eyed knight. Sir Tristan, who had joined their ranks the year before.

"It's sad when faith fails." Tristan muttered.

A huff of air escaped the Lion Knight's nose. Tristan could be both depressing and amusing. It was a strange thing to experience.

"Maybe, but faith is a beautiful thing too." Terran said, "It holds the power to bind people together."

Even the jealous and envious could be changed through faith. People who hate you and even your enemies could change their mindset. Faith was a castle that could protect any and all who stepped into its halls.

"Or tear them apart." Tristan sighed.

That was true enough. Both faith and a lack of faith could tear apart even the strongest of kingdoms.

"Then believe in our king, and Valentine's overly specific plan." Terran said, "With Lancelot, Gawain, and the others with them, I don't see them failing."

"You're as confident in our king as always." Tristan said.

"I'll take it as a compliment." Terran looked back out onto the field, watching as the sun began to set. Just below where the sky began changing colors, a storm of dust was being kicked up into the air. The thundering sound of hundreds of horse hooves just barely made it into earshot. "There they are, just as I told you."

Terran turned, tightening the grip on the weapon in his hand. It was not the pale sword he wielded. It was a black longbow decorated in golden engravings. It was made of dragon bone. It was one of the many things recovered thanks to Halsted three years ago.

"Men! At the ready!" He shouted out his command. The soldiers that stood behind the knights all readied their own bows. Tristan stood with his Failnaught. Unlike the others, he didn't require arrows. Whenever he plucks the strings of his bow, he fires a vacuum arrow.

"They're drawing nearer." Tristan informed.

"Arrows!"

Terrans men drew arrows from their quivers, awaiting further orders.

Just as Tristan had said, Arthur's cavalry appeared to be on the retreat. By using magecraft on his eyes, Terran could see Arthur, Lancelot, and Gawain leading the retreat. Halsted, Percival, and Kay were in the rear. It appeared that Val's plan was working.

"Draw!"

Terran ordered this as Arthur reached the base of the hill, his forces splitting into two and going around the hill on both sides. Terran drew the string back on his bow, loading both weapon and projectile with magical energy. White energy sparked off the arrow.

"Fire!"

When he released, Terran's arrow took the form of what appeared to be a bolt of lightning. The thundering sound it made made it seem like a storm was raining down on their enemies rather than arrows. Terran's attack exploded in the center of the enemies formation, and his men rained arrows down after that.

In one fell swoop, the sixth battle between King Arthur and Vortigern's Saxons had ended.

-------

"You took out their commander." Arthur said. "The few who remained after that scattered and fled."