Chapter 1- The News

"Mon! Mon!"

Monica opened her eyes and saw a pair of brown eyes staring at her.

"Cate? What are you doing here?" she said and closed her eyes again.

Caitlyn said as she showed the key in her hand, "To test this key that you gave me."

"Now you know it's functioning. Leave me alone, can you?"

 "But that is not why I am here today."

Caitlyn seemed excited about whatever she was about to relay, which was not unusual. Monica ignored her enthusiasm and asked, "What is that?" she murmured. She turned away from Caitlyn and hugged her pillow.

"You are going to attend this New Year's gala!"

Monica became awake.

She and Caitlyn were writers/editors in a lifestyle and fashion magazine called LF Magazine. Although, printed magazines have become less popular with the internet and social media dominating these days. Many wealthy and high-profile personalities still preferred to own a hard copy of LF magazine. It was because LF was always ahead of the latest fashion trends and news about the socialite. Aside from that, the LF magazine printed copies were like a symbol of one's social status.

"This is serious." 

Monica thought when she saw Caitlyn smile as her eyes sparkled. She stood up and went to the bathroom. After brushing her teeth, Monica spoke out of her frustration.

"What do you mean, I have to attend?"

"Yvonne couldn't make it, and you are the next choice to cover this event."

Monica then sat on the recliner beside the window.

"But I am on leave! They can't just order me to go to work. It's against the labor code!"

"Girl, they can! Remember how you beg Mr. Wilson, just for you to stay? You said you'll do anything, and 'anything' involves this!"

Monica couldn't argue when Caitlyn put it like that. She sulked on the chair with her arms crossed.

When Caitlyn saw her reaction, she sat beside Monica and put her hands on her shoulders. "Don't be sad, Mon!"

Monica glanced at her. "Why is Yvonne not available?"

Caitlyn removes her hand on Monica's shoulder. Her eyes filled with irritation as she told Monica how Yvonne had avoided the job.

"Yvonne uses Eric."

Eric was the son of Mr. Wilson, the owner of LF. Mr. Wilson doted on his son very much since his wife died five years ago.

Several months ago, rumors circulated that Yvonne Parker and Eric Wilson had been dating. And since neither of them denied or confirmed the gossip, everyone assumed their dating rumor must be true.

"Yvonne!!!" Monica screamed.

Caitlyn emphasized with Monica and put her hand on Monica's shoulder.

"What can you do? It was Eric who convinced Mr. Wilson?"

 "Even so, it shouldn't be me!" Monica said and sulked.