Chapter 15- The Beginning

Monica squinted her eyes. Vince laughed, amused by her reaction.

Without another word, Monica stood up, got her bag in the living room, and walked out the door.

Before Monica opened the door, Vince called her, "Mon!"

He had tried to stop her, but she didn't even take a second to glance at him and stormed away.

Monica knew Vince was just teasing her. Usually, his teasing didn't get into her. But this time, she did not understand herself either as to why she walked out of him. Or why was she being sensitive about Eric and Yvonne?

Vince's voice resonated in the hallway as he called her. He didn't expect Monica to react this way.

"Mon! Mon!"

He ran after her. But she continued to walk until she reached the elevator. Upon stopping at the elevator, Monica instantly pressed the arrow down button.

As she stood and waited for the elevator to open, a body crashed into her back.

Vince hugged her tightly from the back and said so softly in her ear, "I am sorry!"

Monica felt the warmth of Vince's hug. She knew he felt scared to see her like that.

***************

Vince and Monica have been friends for ten years, which began at St. Mary General Hospital when they were teenagers—Monica, 15, and Vince, 17.

Arthur, Vince's father, was in the VIP ward of the hospital because of glomerulonephritis, or inflammation of the kidney, which later progressed to Acute Kidney Failure. Arthur's doctor told his family that Arthur needed a kidney transplant.

Meanwhile, Monica's parents were also in the same hospital. A doctor had informed Monica of her parent's condition; that because of the severe damage their bodies suffered from the accident, her parents were brain dead. 

But as a 15 years/old teenager, Monica refused to accept what the doctor said. She believed her parents were just lying in the ICU and that they would wake up again—soon. She was just uncertain about how soon.

After two days of just sitting in front of the ICU, Monica's head became cloudy. She needed a break from the images of her parents connected to several machines. It was too heavy a sight for a teenager like her to handle. 

She stood up and took a stroll around to clear her mind. She aimlessly walked until she reached the hospital's garden.

It was the winter afternoon of December 30; the sun was shining.

Monica saw a bench and sat on it with her head tilted upward. She closed her eyes. As the sun shone on her face, its warmth felt nice on her cold skin.

"Is this seat taken?" a male voice then asked.

Seriously? Monica thought.

She wanted to relax even for a while, but this person disturbed her moment of tranquility.

Monica opened her eyes. A handsome lad stood in front of her.

He smiled at her.

"No!" she instinctively replied.

But what worried Monica was his neatly ironed clothes might get dirty from the chair. Although his trench coat was dark colored, what he wore underneath wasn't.

After he heard Monica, he immediately sat beside her in a very relaxed manner.

His arms stretched on both sides.

His eyes were closed.

He was inhaling deeply, filling his lungs.

Monica looked at him, examining his face. For several months now, Monica had been in the country, but it was her first time seeing such a beautiful face. 

—His skin is smooth. His lips are red, and they look so soft. The bridge of his nose perfectly holds his eyeglasses. The rays of the sun make his blonde hair more golden.

Vince looked like a student council president that everyone had a crush on. He also had a good-boy aura around him but would not allow himself to be bullied. He looks reliable and responsible.

Suddenly, he opened his eyes and saw Monica looking at him. Despite that, he didn't feel surprised, like he was used to it.

He sits straight and smiles as he forwards his hand to her.

"Hi! I am Vince."

"Monica," she said as she shook his hands.

And that's the beginning of their friendship.

*******************