six

I looked at Sihtric and noticed his eyes were elsewhere. I waited a few moments, and my fingers twitched. I needed that axe. It was MINE. After a few minutes more of walking around mentally cataloging things, I figured that he would be well distracted with his lady friend. I broke away from Sihtric and walked quickly over to his tent. I could hear moans of passion from inside.

Sihtric turned, and he looked alarmed as he glanced around for me. Eventually, his eyes found me, and they slatted in my direction. It was too late, though. I peeked inside the tent, and they were both turned in the other direction. My skin crawled at the sight of his bare ass as it thrusted against her. I could stab him right here.. but no. I decided my axe would be enough. It sat on the ground, behind him, on a pile of furs. So, so close.

My heart rate quickened. I glanced back at Sihtric and saw him coming in my direction. I slipped inside the tent quietly and then stopped. I held my breath. What the fuck are you doing, screamed my inner voice. I took the softest steps of my life, watching his back as he humped her. Sweat beaded on my brow, and my lungs burned. My fingers reached for the axe, quietly slipping it from his belt and holding it in my hand.

My vision blurred with tears. Finally. I backed up to the tent flap and slipped out as quietly as I had came in. Sihtric was there now and he looked angry.

"Happy?" He sauntered. In fact I was. I nodded enthusiasticly and grinned up at him. He gave me an odd look, then suggested we leave.

I was on a cloud, floating in the sky. I twirled the axe in my hand as I walked. It felt natural, and right.

"What in the Hel were you thinking?" He said at me as we approached our horses.

"I got my axe," I smiled.

"Yes, at the risk of our lives. You are not just here for you, Red. We are all part of this." He breathed hard, his different colored eyes were pools of anger.

"Shit.. I.." I sigh, "fuck. I am so sorry." I slid the axe onto my other hip and then mounted my horse. "I saw red.. and it was right there. And anyway, we got away."

"This time," he stated. He mounted his horse and turned it away. It was dark, probably sometime after midnight. "You may risk your life all you wish, but do not risk mine."

"Yeah," I swallowed, "I am sorry. But, I got my axe." I smiled again.

He sighed, then laughed. "Yes."

I touched the eye of my axe as it pressed against my side. The feel of it was comforting and I felt relieved, like a piece of my father had returned to me. Like a piece of me had snapped back into place.

We rode back towards Mercia. It was easing it's way into early morning, and I had trouble keeping my eyes open. The rocking of my horse underneath me did not help my situation and my eyes began to drift closed. I fought against it, but somewhere in the time before sunrise I fell asleep.

"Hold it there, good." My father directed me as he helped me push the blade against the grindstone. This job had been going for two days, and he had spent so much time on it.
He pressed his hand over mine, his thumb missing down to the base.

Once it was sufficiently grinded, he handed me a whetstone. This part I had done before and I set to work while he went about doing other jobs.

In the evening I presented him with the axe. It was beautifully made, it's handle carved with delicate precision, the blade sharp enough to cut clean through bone. He held it in his hand and turned it over and over again. He smiled and handed it back to me.

"Who is it for?" I asked, my curiosity peaked.

"A very special lady," father smiled and I caught his meaning.

My jaw slack I looked down at the axe in my hands. "Me?" I asked if disbelief. This weapon? Mine?

"Yours."

I woke up suddenly, my horse still walked behind Sihtric's, and the sun was up. We neared Mercia, I could see it's walls within a mile or so.

"Sleep well?"

"By accident alone," I replied.

We pulled into Mercia and we got off our horses. Sihtric handed his reigns to me to lead both to the stables. "I will find Uhtred and tell him what we found."

"Oh."

He rolled his eyes playfully. "I will keep some details to myself." This was truly a kindness, and I was not sure why he was inclined to give it. Maybe he felt closer to me after our spying mission. No matter the reason I was grateful.

We parted then. I took the horses to the stables and slipped their bridles and saddles off. They were grateful for the break and moved to the trough to drink water. I patted them on their heads before I took my leave.

I needed a bath desperately, but first, I needed to find the men. I went to the tavern first, but they were not there. I was walking to the castle when I heard Finan's accent ahead. In the yard in front of the castle. I headed for the sound.

"Ah, Red," Uhtred greeted me, "it is good news you two have brought me. You will have your revenge soon. It is Erik Ubbason who camps nearby."

I nodded, and my eyes darted to Sihtric to read his expression. His eyes betrayed nothing, and he did not avert his eyes from my own. I felt hot under his intense gaze. Did he tell him?

"Yes," I looked back to Uhtred, "Lord, I thank you for the opportunity to relieve Erik of the burden that is his head."

Uhtred laughed, his eyes lighting up in true happiness. "If the Gods will it to be, friend."

"Then may they." I stated.

"And you got your axe," Finan observed.

"I got my axe." A smile broke out across my face, and it appeared to be contagious as the others smiled in response.

The Last Oneजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें