twenty

"Why?" Father's voice was stern, and I
winced as he spoke. His face was
contorted in anger, and black sut clung to
every wrinkle of his face and amplified the vision of his disappointment. There was no point in lying about things
now, I had been made, and now I would face trial.

"I had to."

Hakon laid back on the bench across the
fire and watched the spectacle of this
interaction with a glimmer of interest in
his eyes.

"You had to, did you?" Father asked. I
looked to Hakon for some semblence of defense for my actions, but he only looked at the ceiling and tried to hide his smile. He was enjoying this too much to offer help. Father snapped his fingers loudly. "Eyes on me, girl."

"Yes, I did."

Father frowned. "Redinfel, for what purpose did you strike him?"

My face flushed with the resurgence of my anger, as I recalled what Kåre had said to me in disrespect. "He spoke poorly of you!"

Father laughed, a thundering laugh that rolled in my ears like thunder, and smacked the table with his thick hand. "And why does that concern you. Red -"

"He called you a coward!" I defended. "He said you were weak, and that's why you didn't go on raids anymore."

Father's face softened, and Hakon sat up from his laying position to lean forward and watch the unfolding drama. "So what? He is just a pup who cares what he says."

"He disrespects you."

Father laughed again. "And what do you think?" He looked between Hakon and I. My throat closed up, and I was unable to speak, but I worked my mouth wordlessly in preparation nonetheless.

Hakon snorted. "I think she should have hit him again."

Father laughed and smacked his hand on the table again. "Violence is not the only answer, my children."

Hakon shrugged. His eyes reflected the flames in between us like flames over the water. "If Kåre said this, he likely heard it somewhere."

Father grunted. "I will speak to his father, Egil, then. Perhaps he knows who calls me a coward." Father looked at me again and pointed a meaty finger at me. "And you. You should stay out of the woods with the boys."

"Why?"

Father sighed and placed a heavy hand on my shoulder as he pulled my body against him. He squeezed me tightly. "Because they will grow up into men, and they will change. They will see you as a woman instead of their friend."

I frowned, too young to understand what he meant with these words. I didn't want to grow up, and my friends would no longer be my friends. Hakon shifted uncomfortably at whatever these words meant. "Why would that be a problem?" I asked as emotion hinged in my chest.

Father squeezed me again and pressed a kiss to the top of my head. "Because you are a pretty girl. They will grow up and see you as something to covet."

I frowned against his chest. "Why would they do that?"

Father sighed. "Because.. that is the nature of man."

I absently twirled a lock of hair as I watched out the window from my room. My mind slowly came back to the present and left the dream world of my minds eyes behind. I blinked once more, and it was gone entirely. I sighed deeply and closed my eyes.