twelve

"Lord, there was no word of Alfred or Wessex," Sihtric told Uhtred.

We were standing across a table from Uhtred and Lady Aethelflaed. Her eyes were trained on Sihtric as he spoke, but she didn't speak directly to him. Instead, she spoke to Uhtred in a hushed tone, I could only make out the name "Aethelwold."

My eyes, however, were on Sihtric. I couldn't help but skim over the details of his muscular arms as he stood just mere feet away from me. I felt my pulse increase as my eyes trailed up to the spot where his neck met his jaw.

Uhtred turned back to Sihtric once Aethelflaed finished speaking and asked after Athelwold. Was he spoken of? Was he there? Sihtric shook his head that he wasn't. The Lady of Mercia was trying her best not to stare at me, but I could feel her eyes on me. I felt like I was under a magnifying glass.

I was aware that I was a woman in warrior garb, standing across from a lady. A dignified lady. In a small office. My skin itched at the wounded shoulder, and I focused on that instead. I didn't dare reach to scratch it, but I focused on the way it intensified with each passing moment. It was easier to focus on my physical discomfort rather than the way the walls made me feel too big in a room too small for so many people to be staring at each other.

Finan shifted beside me, pulling me closer to the reality of the present. I spoke up, "There was some talk of ships though, Lord."

"Ships? How many?" Uhtred asked.

"I don't know. It could be assumed that it's enough to warrant being mentioned." I glanced at Sihtric, and he diverted his gaze to Uhtred.

"You don't know?" His eyes were accusing, and I felt my whole body heating with shame. If I had spent less time worrying about Sihtric, and more time listening and watching like I was supposed to, maybe I would know this information.

The door behind me opened, and I tried not to jump in surprise. A head popped through, and Aldhelm stepped behind me to listen to their news. He seemed too close to me now, and my skin crawled, so I took a step forward, and it felt like I could breathe again.

"No one said a number, Lord," Sihtric came to the rescue with a sigh. "But I agree. It must be enough that it's worth talking about."

"The arrival of Viking ships does little to ease my concerns of an invasion. They must be gathering somewhere," Lady Aethelflaed said.

"I agree, lady. It does not bode well."

Aldhelm stepped into the scene and whispered something to Lady Aethelflaed. She nodded, and a look crossed her face briefly, too briefly to discern what it meant. "I thank you, Lord Uhtred, for your time. I have.. things to attend to."

Uhtred bowed his head. "Of course, Lady." We all bowed our heads too, and then followed Uhtred from the room. He led us downstairs and outside before he spoke again. "You are certain?" He turned to look at Sihtric, and his eyes grabbed me too. Sihtric nodded curtly, and I felt my head bobbing, too.

"There was no word of either, Lord." I said. "Just talk of ships."

Uhtred sighed. "It is unlikely that nothing is being said when men are gathering again in Danish Mercia, and there will soon be ships.. they must be discussing this somewhere."

"Maybe it's Ubbason?" Finan asked. My attention snapped to him as he spoke the name.

"Could it be?" I felt almost giddy with the possibility of finding him.

"We don't know that," Uhtred said. He tilted his head as he noticed my tone had shifted to eager. "We will be cautious." His tone held a warning in it, and I felt ashamed. My face warmed.