fourteen

It was uncomfortable around the fire
My body was warmed, but yet I felt so
disjointed from the moment. Finan sat
next to me, and he was talking about
something. Something I wasn't hearing
because I was staring through the flames and at Sihtric. He was staring back, though, and I felt warmed by his eyes on me, maybe more so by his gaze than by the fire.

"Red?"

"Hmm?" I looked at Finan. Shit. What was he saying? Something about a barmaid in Rumcofa? I decided to take a shot and just agree with him. "Yeah."

"I don't know.. what if she doesn't feel the
same?"

"Oh, I am sure she will. Bring her flowers.
Let her know you were thinking about her." I hoped that's the direction he was going.

He nodded. "Flowers. Of course, flowers.
Women love flowers, right?"

Across the fire, Sihtric fought a smile that was threatening to break out. "Do they?" He asked across at us. His voice felt like velvet as it washed over me and made my skin tingled.

I shrugged. "Usually."

"What else do women like, Red?" Sihtric
asked as he opened his waterskin and took a small sip. The slightest hint of pink lit up his cheeks, from the fire or from thoughtsof me, I couldn't be sure. His voice held a challenge of some kind in it. Whatever it was, I was up for it.

"Attention," I laughed. "And sweets."

"Sweets?" Finan latched onto that thought. I nodded enthusiastically. "Yes! Like tarts or custard."

"Oh, I love tarts!" Finan enthused. "So
flowers, attention, and tarts? That's all it takes to get a woman's heart?

"A tart for her heart?" Sihrtic laughed.

"Pretty much," I giggled. "Finan, you will be fine. Just go up and tell her you want to court her.. and bring flowers." I bumped his shoulder with mine to reassure him.

"You're right," he sighed and sat up
straighter. "I will just walk up to her when
we get back and just. speak to her. Easy."

"And bring flowers," Sihtric eyed me and
smiled. I felt my cheeks getting hot again
and looked away.

"I must say, lads, I'm relieved you two
seem to be getting on again," Finan said.
I shrugged in what I hoped was a casual
fashion, unsure what to say.

"We are.. getting on," Sihtric confirmed,
then took a sip from his water skin. His
words were so casual, but there was a fire in his gaze that he reserved for only me when they locked with mine. Heat spread across my belly, and I shifted my weight to dissipate it.

"Good. I was getting tired of splitting my
attention between you two."

I rolled my eyes at Finan. "Oh, please." He laughed in response.

"I must say, I think you give Red more
attention than you give me," Sihtric joked,
but I sensed a twinge of jealousy hidden
within. For me or Finan, I couldn't be sure.

"I do not! And I resent you suggesting that I don't give you enough attention," Finan pointed at him like this was a threat, and Sihtric laughed in response.

"Well, I did not see you hugging me on the battlefield," Sihtric mumbled.

"What? I hug you all the time!" Finan threw himself at Sihtric and pulled him into a hug against his will. "Happy now?"

"Gods, no," Sihtric laughed as he shoved at him.

I snorted and stretched my legs out as I watched them. They trembled in response, and a fresh wave of exhaustion rolled over me. "Fuck," I yawned, "I am so tired."