eighteen

Sihtric POV:

Silent tears spilled down her cheeks, reflecting the bright moon overhead like little slices of silver. Why was she crying over this piece of shit? I glanced at the man as he flailed, feet just unable to touch the ground, but it didn't stop him from trying.

No, she wasn't crying about him or what we were doing at all. Her tears were about something else. About the raw memory she just had to relive because of him. My heart hurt for her, and my soul called out for her, but souls are often silent in their conquest, and so she was unaware of my pining.

My muscles itched to pull her closer, and I tried to resist but ultimately failed. Damn the consequences, I stepped closer and pulled her against my chest. She curled into my chest eagerly and silently cried.

In my arms, at this moment, she felt so small and fragile, but I knew that was far from the truth of her. I rested my cheek against the side of her head and looked at the hanged man behind her as he swayed, now lifeless. I didn't feel sad for him, I didn't feel angry at him, I didn't feel anything about him at all. I was just glad he was dead.

One less, chimed my inner voice.

I looked over to Uhtred, who was looking up at the night sky, seemingly deep in thought. I could tell from the set of his shoulders that he was content with what had to happen and yet not content with what the man had said.

I felt eyes on me and looked over to Finan, who stood next to the tree still. His eyes were on me, slightly narrowed. I raised a brow at him in response, and he rolled his eyes before walking over to speak with Uhtred.

My attention was snapped back onto Red as she started to clench her hands into my clothing and sob against me. My hand stroked her loosely braided hair. "I got you," I mumbled into the side of her head.

Her hands pulled around my waist, further pulling us together. Her sobs slowed slightly, but her breath still bubbled in her throat as she fought against each new wave of emotion.

"I got you," I repeated, more sternly. It was truly how I felt. I felt the need to protect her. I longed to erase the horrors or her past, not that it was possible. I thought maybe though that I could put some of the jagged broken pieces of her back together.

My hand slid through her hair, and I pressed my face further against the side of her head. "You are safe now."

Uhtred glanced over at us, his eyes catching me for a moment. My heart flung itself against my ribcage. I had not yet asked him to court her, and here I was holding her as she cried and whispering into her hair like a lovestruck pup. Was I not overly obvious?

No, I hadn't spoken to him about her at all, and I definitely had not yet told him what had occurred in Dunholm or after. The thought of this inevitable conversation sent a shiver through me. I still wasn't sure what he would say. If he said no, I didn't think I could accept that, and that thought scared me.

Slowly, she stilled. Yet, she didn't pull away from me, and I didn't dare break the embrace. I didn't speak, too afraid that the sound of my voice might send her back into a spiral of emotion. Even if I wanted to, I didn't know what I would want to say. Her arms around me loosened slowly, but surely.

After a few more minutes, her breaths were steady against my chest. She dropped her arms from around my waist and turned away. I tried to catch a glimpse of her face, but she was sure not to expose it to me as she turned away. She walked away towards the men that were searching the barn and house. She wiped at her face as she walked away from me. Just like that, like it didn't even happen.

I watched her a heartbeat longer, then strode over towards Uhtred and Finan.

"Is she okay?" Finan asked.