seven

"Tonight, we will launch our assault."

My attention snapped up from my breakfast, and the eggs suddenly felt heavy in my mouth. I tried to swallow them, choked, and started coughing. Finan hit me on the back, which seemed to get it to go down.

Uhtred raised a brow at me before continuing. "We will attack at night, after most have gone to sleep. The plan is simple. Sihtric will enter the camp alone and start a small distraction. We will sneak in behind once the guards move to deal with this distraction and.." he made a dismissive hand movement that implied everything.

"What if it does not draw them from their posts?"

"It will." Sihtric smirked.

"Oh, he is great at causing a scene," Finan joked.

"It will work," Uhtred reassured. "I hope you are granted your vengeance, Red."

I shrug. "The Gods will decide." It was true. I had let go of the concern for my own death long ago. Win or lose, I must try.

The others nod.

"Finish breakfast," Uhtred picked up the egg on his plate and put it in his mouth whole. He chewed it up and swallowed it before he spoke again. "We will leave soon." He seemed to see someone over our shoulder that he needed to speak with because he left swiftly through the door of the tavern.

It was too dim in here, and my skin itched to go outside as well. A laugh broke through my thoughts, and I looked back to the table. Finan was laughing at something Sihtric had said, and Sihtric started laughing as well.

"Is that true?" Finan asked me.

"Uhh.. what?" I felt my cheeks heating up with embarrassment.

"You tried to fight the drunk suitor?"

I laughed. "Oh! No, that was all Sihtric. He basically begged the man to fight him."

"On your behalf!" Sihtric replied, not bothering to elaborate further.

"You literally said to him,'Try it'," I reminded him.

"Well.. I would not have minded to part him with his life." Sihtric shrugged before taking a bite of oats.

"Christ, I miss all the fun," Finan said in mock sadness.

"I would not call it fun," I laughed.

"No?" Sihtric's eyes pierced me. I shifted under his gaze, and my cheeks warmed.

It was definitely not fun in the moment. Though it did retain a humorous air about it now that it was in the past. I sat up straighter in my chair. "Well, it is funny now that it has passed."

Sihtric smiled, his eyes flitted to my waistband where my axe was. "It was.. interesting." He took another bite of his meal.

Finan looked between us. He sensed that we had a secret of some sort but did not press it. "Well, lads," he stood, "I will see you both later."

"See you," I said as Sihtric nodded without a word. I watched Finan leave through the door, and again, I felt the itch to leave this dank tavern and be outside. The air itself felt heavy on me as I sat here.

"I wish he had." He said after Finan had gone. I looked at him questioningly. "Tried it."

I snorted. "Why?"

"Then I could have killed him for calling you a whore."

Why would he care about that in the least? It wasn't long ago that he literally couldn't stand my presence. "Why would you care about what he calls me?"