I Will Always Protect You

Soul and Maka sat on their new couch at their new apartment. They sat watching a movie while snuggling close together. Don't get them wrong they were NOT a couple. They were just comfortable friends. Just as the movie begins to get to the good part they were startled by Maka's father bursting through the door.

"MAKA MY DEAR DAUGHTER ARE YOU ALRIGHT? DON'T WORRY SWEEITE DADDY IS HER TO SAVE YOU!!! I LO-" Spirit was cut of by the sight of his precious Maka in the hands of Soul. His facial expression became angered and he started his usual rant about Soul not touching his "precious daughter".

"Calm down Pops. We're just watching a movie. And of course she's OK. She's with me." Soul explained with his signature smirk. Maka's face was red both from anger and embarrassment.
"What are you talking about Papa? Why would I not be OK?" With Maka's words Spirt changed his attention to Maka. His expression went from angered to confused.

"You mean you haven't seen the news?" Spirit asked. Soul and Maka looked at each other. Because they had just finished moving in they hadn't installed cable yet so no TV for them. Only movies. "They found a bunch of women in alleyways. They all were murdered...and it was horrible sight. They were missing limbs and clothe. They were all random cilivians. At first it was speculated that it was another Jack the Ripper. Killing off prostitutes, until a young straight A college student was found.  All pf the victims were found not too far from here...and I was worried. Lord Death suspects that the women getting targeted are in between the ages of 19-26. I decided to come here and check up on you." As Spirit finished explaining he noticed Soul had moved extremely close to Maka. He didn't want to admit it but he new that Maka and Soul would end up together. He was worried that they might end up like him and Maka's mom...yet he felt that it was diffrent. Spirit gave a sigh. "Hey octupus head...I need to talk to you follow me." Spirit began to walk towards the kitchen. He notice that Soul was hesitant to leave Maka's side.

Once they were in the kitchen Spirit pulled Soul to him and whispered "As much as I hate giving up my Maka to ANYONE. It's clear to me and to basically everyone else, except Maka, that you love her. She is my daughter and I would do anything to keep her safe. Unfortunately I can't be with her every moment of the day, but you can. I'm trusting you to keep my baby safe...please don't disappoint me...please."
Soul was astonished, to say the least. He had never seen Spirit so...so...soft. He also didn't realize that it was so obvious that he liked Maka. All he knew was that he had gotten Spirit to like him....well maybe not like him, but tolerate him.
Soul loved Maka and he would go against Lord Death himself to be with her, but that didn't mean that he didn't still seek approval. "No problem Pops. I will ALWAYS protect Maka."

After Spirit left the evening passed by calmly. It was about midnight and Soul and Maka were still awake watching movies. Neither of them tired. "Hey Soul?" Maka brought her head up from its potion on his chest and looked at Soul's eyes. Soul nodded his head and looked down. A sign that he had heard her and for her to continue. "What did my Papa need to talk to you about?" Maka asked worried that maybe Spirit told Soul about her "little crush" (more like how she totally loved him and would be willing to stay by him over anything) on him.
"Ummmm...he told me that...that...he wanted me to protect you...since he can't always be there." Soul replied. Maka's face turned down and she frowned. "He was never there when I really needed him..." she muttered

"Maka..."

"Yeah Soul?" And before Maka could say anything else her lips were sealed by Soul's.

When they pulled apart Soul said one more thing before he kissed her again.

"I will always protect you...because I love you, Maka Albarn."